Would I be an asshole if....

I went to my local ski shop/bootfitter, and tried on a pair of their dynafit zzues boots to find the perfect size for my foot, and then leave and buy the boots for half the price on the internet? Maybe I'm too nice but it just feels wrong to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Roonski View Post
    I went to my local ski shop/bootfitter, and tried on a pair of their dynafit zzues boots to find the perfect size for my foot, and then leave and buy the boots for half the price on the internet? Maybe I'm too nice but it just feels wrong to me.
    Yes.....

Unless you patronize them a lot in other ways and/or give them a chance to come down in price significantly on those boots. If they want your sale, they'll drop their price somewhat. You're not too nice, your conscience is telling you that the local shop is valuable and you want them to stay in business, but if everybody did what you (potentially) did the shop would likely not stay in business.

This issue has been discussed ad nauseum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

^^^^^What he said. If too many people do this, those local shops won't be there any more.
    "Papa Muntz loved skiing, papa Muntz loved drinking, but what he loved most was drinking and skiing."

Absolutely.

But there is a solution. Buy several sizes from the online vendor. Let them know ahead of time that you're only going to keep one pair. Try them on in the comfort of your own home. Ship back the rest. You will save a little less money (shipping), but at least you won't be screwing over somebody else.

Alright good ideas guys. I don't want the local places to disappear...

you could always be honest with them and see if theyre able to give you a better deal or incentives

i was willing to pay 50-70$ more for boots from my local dealer just because they were local and have a friend who works there
    turns out its paid for itself a few times over already because they were able to handle a warranty claim for me on the liners, and one on the bootshells themselves. When they were gone, I had any boot I wanted from their demo fleet to use (about 20days).
    No charge for any of it simply because i had gotten my boots locally.
    Also, I didnt even mention bootfitting, becasue i didnt need any, but it would have also been included..

something to keep in mind that not only is it nice to support the local guy, sometimes they are able to support YOU when you need it and thats really what you're paying for at a good shop

Quote Originally Posted by DtEW View Post
    Absolutely.

But there is a solution. Buy several sizes from the online vendor. Let them know ahead of time that you're only going to keep one pair. Try them on in the comfort of your own home. Ship back the rest. You will save a little less money (shipping), but at least you won't be screwing over somebody else.
    That's one way.
    Can you find out the internal volume of this boot? Then you measure your foot and make a decision based on how much room you want in the shell. I just did this with some Nordica Speed Machines and I nailed it.

If someone local has something I want but the price is just really outta line with what I'm seeing all over the 'net (even B&M stores with an online presence), I'll ask them if they can do better. It gives them a chance. You never know if you don't ask.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by pechelman View Post
    you could always be honest with them and see if theyre able to give you a better deal or incentives

i was willing to pay 50-70$ more for boots from my local dealer just because they were local and have a friend who works there
    turns out its paid for itself a few times over already because they were able to handle a warranty claim for me on the liners, and one on the bootshells themselves. When they were gone, I had any boot I wanted from their demo fleet to use (about 20days).
    No charge for any of it simply because i had gotten my boots locally.
    Also, I didnt even mention bootfitting, becasue i didnt need any, but it would have also been included..

something to keep in mind that not only is it nice to support the local guy, sometimes they are able to support YOU when you need it and thats really what you're paying for at a good shop
    This is how I feel as well. I'll gladly pay a bit more the service of getting to try things on, talk with people etc.
    Now, if something is $100+ more expensive locally, I'm not in a position to afford that. Give them a chance to come down. Its the end of the season, you never know.

VC is offline Calmer then you are Dude
    I went into a shop in Truckee with the same situation, told them I'd rather patronize a local shop, but money is money. I was completely honest with them, with no hesitation I was told they'd give me 15% over cost.

Quote Originally Posted by VC View Post
    I went into a shop in Truckee with the same situation, told them I'd rather patronize a local shop, but money is money. I was completely honest with them, with no hesitation I was told they'd give me 15% over cost.
    Which shop is this? I would like to buy some AT boots soon and this would be the route I'd like to take.
    Last edited by DtEW; 04-01-2009 at 09:12 PM.

it just feels wrong to me.
    That's 'cuz it is!
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Quote Originally Posted by DtEW View Post
    Absolutely.

i've done that^^, but brought the boot to the shop for some work.
    Also said to local shop, www.shopx.com is having a sale, can you beat their price? local couldn't, but did offer boot work (different boots) for free.

I did that with MEC but with a couple of million members I didnt feel bad at all and besides they didnt have ski boots at the end of november ... pretty lame

My solution was to talk to the boot guys at the local shop. Told them what I was thinking and planning to do. Told them once I found the right deal (which I did at a ridiculously low price) on the boots I wanted (thereby giving them an opportunity to compete) I would come back and pay for their fitting services. Worked out fine, everyone happy.

for boots, its always worth a little extra for the service you will most likely need (molding, fitting, etc).

where did you go locally, ski rack or alpine shop?
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

Be honest when you are in and if they are a chill shop they may lower a bit. Make sure you leave with something. Even a pair of socks or other items you could use. Get your skis mounted there and drop in once for an edge and wax. If its a shop worth supporting they won't care about online sales especially if you continually purchase smaller items or use their service.
    Thats my 2 pennies.

I shop the net for some things, but always do boots at the local shop. Follow up fitting adjustments, etc. can't be made over the web. Plus, I want the local shop to be there next year and the year after. I'm a regular, get my mounts done there (for beer) and buy all the small stuff there, wax, tuning stuff. last year I sent about 12 people in the buy skis from them and they know it, so I ussually get a pretty fair price.

I've seen shops now charge a minimum of $50 for boot stuff. This is because of the web. Give your local shop a chance to lower their price. It'll be worth it even if it's $50 - $100 more than the competing website. Sometimes they'll even meet the price, depending on the product.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.