Check Out Our Shop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2010 Katanas - anybody skied them?

Tried searching and found lots of comments on next year's Goats, but nothing on the 2010 Katana. Anybody skied them? I'm particularly interested in hearing about any changes vs. the 2009.

Haven't skied them - but I didn't think there were any striking differences.

Anybody else?

No plastic tail and some rocker...if i remember well.
    Always Fight Gravity

I think they may have fixed some of the durability issues but I'm not sure.

I fondled a pair in the shop. The swallowtail channel and plastic piece is gone. If there was much rocker it was hard to notice....flat camber underneath. Beautiful looking ski and I'd like to get my hands on a pair for next year.

they did away with the clear see thru sidewalls to something more durable. I've heard rumours that they may have stiffened it up slightly, but havent skied or flexed to compare. Awesome ski.

fondled a pair and they seem heavier, have a rockered tip about a foot or so. curved up tail similar to that of the old black gotama but not as high. looks cool and should ride well

Thanks for the info. Anybody out there actually SKI them yet?

Used them 5 days last week at Revelstoke. Slightly stiffer underfoot than 2009 Katana. Very easy to turn. Love soft snow but can handle everything within reason. Decent at speed.

Are they still making it in a 197?
    What do you mean why do I have duct tape on my skis!?! It improves edge hold, increases pop, adds durability, and most importantly, boosts horsepower by like 30%... what? your skis don't have horsepower?

Bump. Anybody else skied next year's Katanas yet?

what sizes?

Interested in a review on the 183's, but mostly just interested in differences vs. this year. My 08/09's are getting warrantied and I'm trying to figure out if I should replace with the 2010s.

Kimball Junction The Dark Side Of The Wasatch
    Have not skied them but looked at an unmounted pair of 190's. Tip Rocker seems bigger than previous yrs also had slight (hard to notice unless you hold them together or lay them on a wood table floor etc) tail rocker, flat underfoot. Looked worthy got ride of all the stuff mentioned above.
    Jibs Not Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by DARYLL View Post
    Have not skied them but looked at an unmounted pair of 190's. Tip Rocker seems bigger than previous yrs also had slight (hard to notice unless you hold them together or lay them on a wood table floor etc) tail rocker, flat underfoot. Looked worthy got ride of all the stuff mentioned above.
    Interesting... tail rocker would be a new addition

Kimball Junction The Dark Side Of The Wasatch
    The tail rocker on the pair I saw was minimal. The skis had tip rocker a flat section then a miniscule amount of tail rocker. As mentioned above hard to see without a flat surface for reference.
    Jibs Not Jobs

zo Guest
    I've had a few pairs of Katanas, and I would agree that the '10 model may be just a little stiffer than previous model years. They look great and really ski the same. As for the early rise, it's basically the same as older ones but now they seem to be claiming it. It's very difficult to make a ski totally flat cambered when it has a thin profile with as much metal in it as the Katana has. When those skis cooled after being in a flat press, it was usually inevitable all that metal would cause some sort of deviation from totally flat (usually a little rocker).

these pics can help show how similar they are. the first profile picture is the 2010, the second is the 2009.
    Last edited by zo; 04-26-2009 at 08:43 AM.

Just got a first look at my warranty replacement pair of 2010 Katana's and was pleasently supprised with the amount of tip and tail rise (rocker). I thought it looked alot like the pics of the Gotama that I've seen, just maybe not quite as much rocker?

I know everyone is hating based on past durability issues, but can't wait to roll em out for a try with the new shape. My past pairs of Katana's had no tip rise at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sillygoat View Post
    Are they still making it in a 197?
    yes, I fondled them in my reps garage

Quote Originally Posted by mxpowder View Post
    Just got a first look at my warranty replacement pair of 2010 Katana's and was pleasently supprised with the amount of tip and tail rise (rocker). I thought it looked alot like the pics of the Gotama that I've seen, just maybe not quite as much rocker?

I know everyone is hating based on past durability issues, but can't wait to roll em out for a try with the new shape. My past pairs of Katana's had no tip rise at all.
    The pair I saw at REI looked like it had the same rocker profile as this years gotama. Sounds like there could be a couple of versions out there but could be wrong.
    If ski companies didn't make new skis every year I wouldn't have to get new skis every year.

www.levelninesports.com
    http://skiingyeti.blogspot.com/

This is the first year they are claiming the ELP on the Katana.
    Like Got, Chopstick and Kuro.

I'm interested to see these.

My 07/08 have really no tip rocker to speak of.
    Last edited by whorehey; 11-04-2009 at 02:40 PM. Reason: corrected model year of my pair

Wonder if the rocker will be consistent this year ski-to-ski. Last year, I saw Katanas which were flat, others slightly rockered and others with slight traditional camber. Shitty QA by Volkl. Hopefully they are all the same slight rocker this year.

I just moved a shitload, and kept a pair for myself. Yes, there is consistent rocker (atleast in the dozen or so that I fondled)...same profile (ELP) as Gotama (I have those, too). Mounted mine with Dukes. Haven't skied them yet, but they sure feel, and look schweet.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I also called Volkl and they said the marked mounting point had been moved forward a bit. Droped mine off at shop and told em to mount em on the line, since its a new shape and there didnt appear to be any talk of mounting points on this years model.

Quote Originally Posted by DictatorShooter View Post
    Thanks for the info. Anybody out there actually SKI them yet?

Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    If you're not standing on the fucking traverse with your thumb up your ass you wont get checked.

dumbfuck.