Check Out Our Shop
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Feeler: ptex1 “Buyers Club” Who’s in?

Tim is interested in creating a way to move some inventory, enabling him to keep his orders from the manufactures large and he thinks hooking-up the mags is the way to do it.

Group buys/pre-orders put his relationship with manufacturers in jeopardy (as I found out this past February) and Tim feels that they are becoming more and more difficult to pull off. Also with a GB/P-Order a mag has to commit to one particular item, pay up front (granted for a ridiculous deal) and has to wait for the product to ship from the manufacture, ship from ptex1 and sometimes to clear customs.

Tim’s idea: Maggots make a deposit this spring (around $100-$150), wait until next fall to decide what they want from the shop, call and apply this deposit to whatever they order at an extra-special, unbelievable ptex1 deal plus shipping.

This is in the planning stage, so post up you thoughts or call the shop and tell Tim what you think (406) 256-0800.

If you have to ask if ptex1 is legit or how unbelievable his deals are, sorry to waste you time please move along.

I'm not sure I understand the way it works. Because I'm a shit math student, and a shit economist, but it sounds like it all equals = more great deals.

I could be down.

Thanks Tim for my kuros and the sick deals for everyone else.
    Last edited by volklpowdermaniac; 03-27-2009 at 03:32 PM.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

That seems a bit odd.
    Giving someone large money for 6 months, for the right to spend that money for goods that I may or may not need or might not even be able to buy from him.

I would, however, pay a small fee ($20) to join a buyers club, that lets me get emails about killer deals (first shot at liquidations before the good stuff sells out), and also allows me to order and pre-order goods at a serious discount (cost plus 10 or 15% for example) at any time of the season. the idea of the small fee is to keep out the riff raff. A free club would be even better, but would not be as effective for Tim.

Good luck. I like creative biz ideas.
    I’ve just decided to be a middle aged somewhat depressed somewhat anxious fucktard until the end.

By paying $100 now, you can reserve your spot in the "sick deal from tim on whatever you want next fall" line.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    I would, however, pay a small fee ($20) to join a buyers club, that lets me get emails about killer deals (first shot at liquidations before the good stuff sells out), and also allows me to order and pre-order goods at a serious discount (cost plus 10 or 15% for example) at any time of the season. the idea of the small fee is to keep out the riff raff.
    now that is a good idea. i may just steal it. stay tuned.

so tim has pissed off reps and vendors with his endless below-wholesale deals (he should have just one never ending thread or delete after the sale is over or not post prices). now he needs to make nice to keep his accounts by placing larger orders than previous years. if business was good, it would dictate the need for larger orders. it doesn't seem like it is though, hence the endless deals. placing large orders will bite you when the huge bills come due and you haven't sold enough to pay all of them.

otherwise, a clever business idea for someone who needs to drum up cash in a hurry without actually selling anything.

i hope the "ptex is stupid sale" and the "ptex is losing his ass sale" aren't actually true.

feel free to flame away.
    Last edited by mtskier; 03-30-2009 at 06:08 PM.
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

I'd be in
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

I guess the biggest problem for Tim is predicting demand. I think I'd pony up in early summer if I had a good idea of what was going to be available and ballpark what the prices would be (or assurances that they would not deviate from the past). That said, before all the clearance and spring firesales on used gear are over I'm not sure I'd want to lock myself in.

I could forsee some issues, as other have expressed. But, it seems that Tim is trustworthy, and would attempt as best as possible to fix any wrongs.

In light of that, I would be in, pending further detail.

This does sound interesting. One of the great things about the gear threads showing off next year’s stuff is that it’s not too hard to anticipate what we might want. In my case, one of the following:

1) The BCA Float 30 airbag pack
    2) G3 Onyx Binding
    3) Dynafit Titan boot
    4) Trab TR-1 binding
    5) A pair of the new BD Skins

A couple of questions.

1) Can you get your money back at any time?
    2) What happens if next December you haven't seen anything that you're interested in? Do you get $ + interest?
    3) What happens if Tim goes under (I hope not)?

Out of curiosity have you thought about why Tim has to do this, besides what you said? Just being devils advocate, I've seen on another board a bunch of people put money down on a future manufacturer buy that never materializes and then people were pretty bent.

Count me in! He's already given me so many great deals, that $100-$150 either way won't bother me.

Last year I prepaid for dukes in advance, with no issues. Now, if I could get a catalog of what's available for killer prices, I'd be all over it.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I know where the gap(s) in my quiver are, and have a pretty good idea of what I want/need for next season right now.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

I've been hooked up by ptex and I have no doubt he is nothing but completely ethical, but putting up the cash up front without knowing what's for sale or by how much definitely tilts the scale.

I've bought plenty of stuff from Tim. Everythings been perfect I would probably be in for something like this pending details.

mtsprings...

I know Tim has thrown up some sick deals, but nothing that any of us wouldn't see at the end of the season (may firesales) by walking into an ski shop across the country. Tim has hooked me up huge and I am taking a trip to Big Sky next year and flying into billings just to stop at his shop, but I find it odd that reps are pissed off. Here in the midwest, reps are just happy to sell stuff. Not to mention, once Tim places an order and brings the stuff into stock, anti-trust laws prevent the manufacturer from dictating what the actual sales price of the good is. Tim is the owner of that item and can sell it for what he pleases. And to my knowledge, Tim moves a lot of stuff, so is a vendor, that has to meet a sales quota, really going to cut out someone that sells their stuff. Not a chance. Having worked in sales and distribution in the past, we always threw out the idle threats that our mfgs wanted us to, but we never pulled product or stopped supplying someone. Why...because my paycheck depended on selling stuff to the guy and if he didn't have my stuff, he would get it somewhere else or carry a brand I didn't sell.

That said, I have sent Tim a couple of messages on wanting a pair of 180 Atlas IQ's sans binders so I would be down since I know he will carry Blizzards again and I know what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by kkerley33 View Post
    Not to mention, once Tim places an order and brings the stuff into stock, anti-trust laws prevent the manufacturer from dictating what the actual sales price of the good is.

This is so untrue.

Manufacturers are allowed to price control their retail outlets - in other words, they are allowed to dictate to retailers what the item(s) can be sold for at retail. Retail outlets are free to choose to carry a manufacturer that doesn't have fixed pricing if that is their desire.

In general, the way pricing is controlled is to control which retailers received merchandise. Retailers that sell for less than what the manufacturer wants it sold for no longer receive merchandise. The manufacturer may be able to sue the retailer but generally the costs of the lawsuit far outway any possible gains so manufacturers simply refuse orders from retailers that don't follow the pricing structure.

One concrete example is Festool USA.

Sorry to take the thread off topic but the quote above is not true and seems to be a common misconception.

I'm in, I'd happily give Tim some more business. I bought some T-Rocks from him 2 years ago at a steal price. I'm going to buy some fatter skis next year and this would be a good gig.

Count me in, please.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    a shit economist
    Economics is nothing but excuses for consumerism, offered by people who know how to split hairs eternally. You're not missing a damned thing, and you're probably right on the money with your instincts.

The funny thing about economics is that it is sociological observation based on whimsical human psychology. It's not a science. It's guesswork, like a Ouija board, with statistics layered on top to make it look cool, to fool the eedjits.

Nothing at all wrong with Tim's scheme, "economically."
    Last edited by uncle crud; 03-28-2009 at 09:28 AM.

I as well would be in ! I NEED HELLBENTS!!

once Tim places an order and brings the stuff into stock, anti-trust laws prevent the manufacturer from dictating what the actual sales price of the good is.
    MFGs have plenty of tricks for doing this. BFG has done it with AT tires for years. The most effective way is to manipulate the wholesale price, and supply to the retailer.

Tim is the owner of that item and can sell it for what he pleases. And to my knowledge, Tim moves a lot of stuff, so is a vendor, that has to meet a sales quota, really going to cut out someone that sells their stuff. Not a chance.
    This is more of a big deal with group buys then spring sales. Retailers of relatively small market items like Dukes and Dynafit, don't like to hear about a large percentage of their market getting a near cost deal, leaving them holding inventory in a saturated market.

As for the actual question, I have hesitation in throwing a good chunk of $$$ at a company who seems to desperately need cash, so I'd want to limit risk and have a nice return. If it were <$50 for a season of, unrestricted 25% additional discount on all instock items, plus one week of early access to all sales items, I'd probably be in. You could play around with the numbers a bit, but It should weigh heavily in the Investors favor.
    BEWARE OF FEMALE SPIES

So the problem I see with this is that you pay into the club and that $100-150 goes to purchasing goods not necessarily the specific goods you want. So next season 10 people decide they want a the same ski of which only 8 were ordered. 2 people are screwed and the money may have to be spent on something in the shop you don't necessarily want and definitely not your first choice.
    Move along nothing to see here.

Escrow?

Quote Originally Posted by FattyCBR View Post
    What happens if Tim goes under (I hope not)?
    Normally, his company assets would be "secured" (including mag $) and distributed to creditors by court order. I trust Tim not to intentionally screw anyone but it could happen due to forces out of his control.
    Not sure I would stress over this for $100 but, for peace of other minds,
    perhaps deposits could be held in an escrow account?
    That's Mr. JONG to you, punk!

I'm in. Tim makes it really easy to spend $150.

Im in, Tim does work!

PS: do you need a REDBULL cooler for the shop?
    Pay the man that pays me

http://www.ever-ware.com/
    http://pmgear.com/
    http://freeridesystems.bigcartel.com/

lurking with a bag o dicks for you

id probably be in... pending details on how its going to work exactly

mtskier is pretty right on. Not only do reps and Manufacturers dislike what he's doing, other stores dislike what he's doing and will complain to reps/manufacturers. I've seen this happen.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.