Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stockli SS question

are there any differences between the 194 and 186 from last year besides the size? Im trying to figure out if I would enjoy the 194. The last ski that I had that was that long was the original Rossi XXX in 193. I thought that ski kicked ass, so maybe the 194 SS stockli would be a good ski for me.

Im 5'10 , 180 --- thoughts?

who here skis these? I would mainly be using them in summit county CO, is this overkill? Just looking for a fast stable and solid ski that can take some abuse.

I had the 186 DPs and was forced to sell because of monetary problems at the end of teh school year. I used them in summit county all winter and they were perfect. I would recommend them. They are easy to get on edge but are heavy as hell if you doing any BC.

I really want to get my hands on another pair to compliment my new bromodels

stable is an understatment. my 194 SS setup has freerides for bc. they are bomber skis that can take a beating. I feel like they carve on the hard pack as well as they float in the pow. I've been told that there is no difference in the ss and perret's, but i think there may be some slight difference besides the top sheet. bro's round out my quiver.

Can't speak for others, but they are the best boards I've ever had (and I had a pair of Iggy FaGs in a 195, FWIW). I'm 5'11", 165 and I tele on the 194s. Stable as hell man and a blast to ride. If you liked the Rossi's you'll love these things, though they are obviously stiffer. Get 'em, you won't regret it. As far as construction, I don't think there is any difference between the two lengths. Get the big 'uns and just go faster and turn less.

I have the 186 SS pros and love em. Like others here have said they're real good skis for almost every condition. Can't comment on the length, never have riden the 194's however I think they have the same construction and flex. I have never had a stability problem with the 186, but then again I'm not a AK skiing rock star, so the 186 works fine. Have fun on you pair when you get them.

I wish the bros were rounding out my quiver.

though woodsy would chime in here. he mentioned a while back that he heard they might be softening up the SSSS a bit, don't know if that would carry over to the DP. but really how much could they soften them up? if i can get the right price i plan on adding a pair of the 194s to quiver, currently running on some 195 XXXs that i would/will replace with the B3, if i can't get get that magic # for the stocklis. 201s our not out of the pic either, i worry they would take from my tree skiing enjoyment, i was drooling over a bird patroler's pair last year, they are huge

i got to ride a pair of 201 asteroids last spring and they are definitely on the list for my first pair of dedicated alpine skis in 12 years.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

love my 186 ss pros, I have said it enough times.

dont know why you need the 194s, I have never found a top speeed & the man they are named after, he of 217 fame, skis em in a 186 ( at least when he was filming in UT......)
    dont know why you would have b3s & these....
    only condition they dont abso lutely rock the house on is bottomless fluff as the stiff tip will dive, but in Summit county CO that shoudn't be a problem

I'm on the 186 DP's and haven't had any problems with stability at speed. I'm 6'1" 200lb. I haven't heard that there are any flex differences. The 194 may take some work in the trees. It took me some time to get used to the 186's in the trees.

They are heavy that's for sure.

Originally posted by Woodsy

dont know why you would have b3s & these....
    one or the other and a fat ski to complement them. don't know how the legend pros compare or if they compare at all, but i demoed the 186 lp last season and it just wasn't enough ski. 6'2" 205# if that makes a difference.

Originally posted by powderhound
    i demoed the 186 lp last season and it just wasn't enough ski. 6'2" 205# if that makes a difference.
    I heard that a lot last year. most people slide the demo binding back about 1-1.5 cm and loved them from that point on. I think you'd be stoked on the 194's. If you are here for the mini I'll let you try mine if you don't already have some.

Woodsy
    I have never found a top speeed & the man they are named after, he of 217 fame, skis em in a 186 ( at least when he was filming in UT......)
    I saw him on the tram at the bird in either late march or early april and he was the only other person i saw at the bird with the ss pro's. it did look like the 186. I saw another guy at alta with some also in a 186, but no long boards. I weigh about 180-190 and find the 194 skis excellent. I don't think I would like the 186, but a 190 would rip.

Ive never seen scot schmidt in person so if he skis the 186 how big and tall is he?

so who should be skiing the 186 and who should be on the 194?? Generally speaking of course.

Gievn my current financial status and flyweight classification, I shouldn't be skiing either size, but after reading this thread I want a pair of 186's.

Originally posted by Evil E
    Ive never seen scot schmidt in person so if he skis the 186 how big and tall is he?

so who should be skiing the 186 and who should be on the 194?? Generally speaking of course.
    i just think it is personal preference. scot looked to be about 5'6''. I like more board than i prpbably need, but that is just me. on 186's i don't feel as stable at high speeds as i do on any of my longers skis. also the more surface area you have the more float you get out of them.

I too love my 186's. are any of you guys considering even trying any new skis next year? I think the Stockli is really hard to beat interms of design and construction.

I've been thinking of trying like the Bro's, Sonuk's, Movement Thunder's, or maybe some Iggie's. I just really like the responsiveness and stiffness of the stockli's.

According to that Warren Miller film, 5'7", 37 lbs. Heh.

He's a pretty light guy, though.

Originally posted by glademaster
    Gievn my current financial status and flyweight classification, I shouldn't be skiing either size, but after reading this thread I want a pair of 186's.
    all you got to do is sack up and you can do it to all you got to do is try you fucking pussy
    • Excessive, obsessive gear questioning 10 yards, loss of down
    • Not using techtak 5 yards
    • Excessive spraying 10 yards loss of down

Who the hell needs to turn in the trees anyway? And I can just air out any mogul fields I come across. I see a straightline of Paradise in my near future.

Laser, maybe your bro would be interested in buying my blue noodles. Some fat skis would do him some good, and I could even drop 'em off at his dorm.

Originally posted by wuhair

I've been thinking of trying like the Bro's, Sonuk's, Movement Thunder's, or maybe some Iggie's. I just really like the responsiveness and stiffness of the stockli's.
    Unless the Iggies have changed with their recent reincarnation, the Stockli's are a hell of a lot better.
    I like the 194's. Yeah, sometimes they feel a bit big, but I'm not one to make short turns. I was teleing on some 185's the year before and they always felt a bit too squirrely for me. Not so on the 194.

i just picked up a pair of slightly used 194 ss stocklis on ebay with a pair of ZR Race binders. Maybe I overpaid, but its still way cheaper than retail. Thanks for all your input. I think this will be a nice addition to the quiver for sure.

Originally posted by glademaster

Laser, maybe your bro would be interested in buying my blue noodles. Some fat skis would do him some good, and I could even drop 'em off at his dorm.
    that is if my overbearing bitch of a mother ever lets the boy see the light of day, he does have to get into a good college or otherwise what will she have to talk about on the Greenwich cocktail party circut, certainly not her ONLY granchild whose existance she hasn't even acknowledged for more then 5 minutes in the 3 months since he was born
    Last edited by supercow; 08-27-2004 at 10:36 PM.
    • Excessive, obsessive gear questioning 10 yards, loss of down
    • Not using techtak 5 yards
    • Excessive spraying 10 yards loss of down

Originally posted by supercow
    that is if my overbearing bitch of a mother ever lets the boy see the light of day, he does have to get into a good college or otherwise what will she have to talk about on the Greenwich cocktail party circut, certainly not her ONLY granchild whose existance she hasn't even acknowledged for more then 5 minutes in the 3 months since he was born
    Hmmm, well, hmmm. That sucks. She sounds like quite the bitch. And we all know that if your bro doesn't go Ivy League he'll never amount to anything.

Wow, this has so much to do with Stockli SS's, eh?

E did you snag those off of ebay? I had my eye on them. Way to go out and get them though I can't afford another pair of skis

yup I saw that ebay deal and figured that I better snag it. Every once in a while you got to throw down some coin for a cool toy.

yup I saw that ebay deal and figured that I better snag it. Every once in a while you got to throw down some coin for a cool toy.
    so true. you're gonna love those. my first day on them was a spring freeze/melt. I skied mostly high speed groomers that day to check out the performance and see where the limits were. eventually you'll find some. they sure like to hold an edge when you put it down. enjoy the new sticks. maybe we can take a few runs if you make it to the mini.