Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I think you could use the Atlas as a daily driver(192). Very sweet looking ski. I don't think they should be a problem in tight areas either. These have alot of tip rocker and also an early rise tail and are basically flat under foot. I haven't been on these skis but they sure seem like they should be more nimble than my Shoots(lighter and shorter effective edge) and they slay trees and tighter areas just fine.

Just got the 192 atlas looks sweet.....now just bring on another 600+ inch season!

adam is offline The Shred Pirate Roberts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeatownSlackey View Post
    Me: 6’1” 225lbs, ski fast and aggressively (duh)
    Man you're awesome

Damn. Really torn here.
    For EC do I get the 192 for just the big days or 182 and use it a lot more (if I got the 192, I have a feeling I would swap out to my LPs once everything is chopped and I haed for the tighter spaces) .
    At 195lbs will I just run out of ski with the 182?
    Decisions.

I just fondled a pair of these at EVO.

I have been planing on the 195 S7s but the Atlas looks pretty sweet too. I'd really like to put my hands on a pair of the 195 S7s before deciding between the two. Obviously the tail shape will make a notable difference.

Seatown did you pick up a pair or still wearing the choosing shoes?

Im glad somebody is also trying to decide between these and the 195 s7. I just got the atlas' but haven't mounted them because Ive been thinking of the s7 instead. How different would these skis be from each other?

Quote Originally Posted by Vonch View Post
    I was able to ski all three skis on a deep heavy powder day at Crystal Mountain as well as a 6" light powder over "ice hell" at Stevens Pass. The Thug is not going to be made in 2010 but it is a good reference as it is a traditional fat powder ski with plenty of float and dimensions of 140-120-133 and a 40 meter turning radius (that me be generous). I am 195lbs former ski bum and ski instructor and I ski fast.

The clear winner was the Atomic Atlas. The traditional straight tail and 27 meter turning radius made the difference. It rocketed you out of the turns without any washout common to full rocker skis and it skied like a GS ski on the groomed (well compared to other rocker skis like a GS ski anyway). This ski was designed by Dahren Rahls and it shows. All power and no speed limit. I found myself skiing the heavy powder 30% faster at up to 50 mph according to my GPS watch. In addition, it was easily 25% less effort than the Thugs or the Jimi's because of the ability to take a neutral stance. In the deep heavy snow (sunk to my thigh with my skis off) I could pressure the tip going into a turn and never experienced any tip dive. On the day I skied it with light snow over "ice hell" I never even felt the ice till I switched back to my Thugs. Six inches of snow felt like 12" of snow.

The Jimi was a fun ski, but had no power/rebound coming out of the turns and did not ski the groomed nearly as well as the Atlas or the Thug.

I like the Thug and it was the best powder ski I have ever been on till I got on the Atlas. I would now give the Thug a 7, the Jimi and 8 and the Atlas a 10. The other two skiers I was with all echoed the same thoughts and they were 182 lbs and 240lbs.

I now have three epic equipment moments in my ski career that started 42 years ago.

1. Skiing a plastic boot in 1970 for the first time
    2. Skiing my first full shaped ski in 1998
    3. Skiing the Atlas in 2009

This is a big stick and not for the timid, it requires a good pilot with no fear of speed, deep, or steep. If you are looking for your first powder ski to learn to ski powder I would not recommend this ski. Look instead for a full rocker ski with mid camber like the Jimi. I do love the name, but "Jimi was afraid of the Atlas".
    This post made my day. I recently ordered some Atlas's on prodeal and the way you described this ski makes it apparent that this ski is going to rock tough this year.

Quote Originally Posted by PeachesN'Cream View Post
    I just fondled a pair of these at EVO.

Seatown did you pick up a pair or still wearing the choosing shoes?
    no, im still fence sitting.

I keep getting drawn back to the Atlas because i liked them so much whereas the Super7 is somewhat of a mystery card. Evo guys have any better info on the 195 arrival date?

Nothing new on the Super 7 from EVO. It's due this month but no news on when or if that date will hold.

The Atlas looked damn good in person. It's a very tempting option especially given the positive Seatown review.

I'll probably hold out for the Super 7s simply because I want to get a truly different ski than my Katanas. I know the Atlas is 15mm wider and a true early rise tip away from being a Katana but I think it might ski in the same neighborhood.

Question Chetlers vs. Atlas

Me: 5'9" 185lbs coming back to skiing after four years of medschool down south (think no snow. think flat.) I am err.. was an aggresive skiier. Looking for a ski for powder and crud. In Washington state this year then SLC Utah for the next three/four years.

Trying to decide between chetlers 183cm vs. atlas 192 cm.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by trainnvain View Post
    Damn. Really torn here.
    For EC do I get the 192 for just the big days or 182 and use it a lot more (if I got the 192, I have a feeling I would swap out to my LPs once everything is chopped and I haed for the tighter spaces) .
    At 195lbs will I just run out of ski with the 182?
    Decisions.
    Buy the 192. Different ski but I had last years 183 Bent and felt it was way short. With the tip and tail rocker they will ski much shorter than 192 would make it seem. BTW, I'm 6'1" and 190 lbs but ski like a little girl!
    The Passion is in the Risk

Thanks

Bump. Just got on a pair of these after wanting try them since they were released. Thanks to og mag Zbo for a solid hookup.

Everything posted in this thread is still true. 13(?) years later they are still a fantastic ski.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Bump. Just got on a pair of these after wanting try them since they were released. Thanks to og mag Zbo for a solid hookup.

Everything posted in this thread is still true. 13(?) years later they are still a fantastic ski.
    I sold those to Z-Bo without ever having skied them. Glad they ended up somewhere they will be appreciated!
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Damn. Time flies. Still remember doing this demo

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by SeatownSlackey View Post
    Damn. Time flies. Still remember doing this demo

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Yeah, I remember when these came out and wanting them really bad. Was just a lurker on TGR at that point.

Crazy how time flies.

The Atlas, admittedly the mini-me 18x version is still my favorite pow ski to date. I love that tip. Can ski it like a race ski in powder and that tip won't go down. So bummed I sold my backup pair a few years ago.

Other skis that have tried to replace it: Billy Goat, Wren 115, Menace 118, Bodacious (although my pair had minimal tip rocker), Bibby, and likely a few more I can't remember.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    The Atlas, admittedly the mini-me 18x version is still my favorite pow ski to date. I love that tip. Can ski it like a race ski in powder and that tip won't go down. So bummed I sold my backup pair a few years ago.
    My 182 Atlases are my all time favorite ski and still my daily driver. And I have the spooky moon and raven graphics which I love.

Oh, and clear your PMs! I'm trying to get back to you about kids' race skis, which I'm definitely interested in
    "A witty saying proves nothing."