Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Damn it, damn it, damn it!!!!!! I asked the place I ordered mine from when they're shipping cause the guy said it'd be today, but lo and behold, no Gotamas. They might get some 190's, but they have no idea when the 183's are coming in. At least 3 more weeks, but can't give me a date at all. This doesn't make me very happy. Looks like I may be going the Explosiv route afterall.... or maybe Karma, ahhhhh! I thought I had this decision made already!

you have a lot of skiing to do there on the great plain in the next three weeks eh?

No, I'm just moving to Colorado close to then, and there is skiing there...

Originally posted by Theodore
    No, I'm just moving to Colorado close to then, and there is skiing there...
    In three weeks and that you'd want to use your precious new skis on?

Relax you're going to give yourself ulcers!

I know, I'm just a little frustrated with the whole thing...

Rode the 04/05 190cm Gotama's in a foot of fresh snow yesterday;

My previous experience with fat skis was the Movement thunder at 87mm waist and my volkl V-Pros at 83mm.

They are seriously weapons in the powder!

Tight trees, can do jump turns on them too, they are lighter than my v-pros, although they can get heavy with a lot of snow build up on the tops of the skis.

My first runs on them were just going straight on powder and just getting the feel for how they flexed, then I started rolling them in some turns and they do just turn on a dime.

I can lean rightback and it feels like I am skiing on the ends of the tail, it is a pretty soft and forgiving back half of the ski, you can lean back and still be turning.

Things got a little cut up so I tried them out at mach speed to see how they plow through the crud - it was all still soft but there was no sign of them being deflected or being thrown around - they just plow.

I tried some short turns out and I found it quite easy to do short radius turns on them - surprisingly.

They do feel wide , I had them carving at pretty high speeds and could do rail turns as well but you know that to bring the next turn around you have a lot of ski to turn over.

Did a couple of jumps on them and cornice drops and you can actually feel the air underneath the ski - they feel stable on landing.

Skiing switch on them was interesting, I am pretty sure they ski faster switch than my V-pros or even 724 EXP's not sure why (anyone help explain it) but they feel great switch.

More reports to follow next time I ski them (2 weekends time) but overall I am very impressed with them.
    Last edited by Ski Beaver; 09-12-2004 at 08:35 PM.
    Avoid employing unlucky people - throw half of the pile of resume's in the bin without reading them.

I got the 190s and they should be in some time next week. I better get a job on the mountain this year caused that was my pass money.

Can't wait til my warrantied 05's come in I absolutely loved the 04's last season, so there should be no reason that I would expect anything less. No rush really though, wouldnt want to subject them to tahoe rocks until december or so anyway..

Awww snap! Mine shipped today. Can't wait to fondle the new toys. Binders are lonely and waiting for their new friends. Kudos to Al's Ski Barn. They have excellent customer service.

UPS man delivered mine today! People at work were dumbfounded by the fat-ness.

Well done fella's, I had mine delivered to work also and had some JONG came up and said nice skis, but where are the shoes for them? She was referring to bindings I guess.
    Avoid employing unlucky people - throw half of the pile of resume's in the bin without reading them.

Sweet! It's good to hear people are getting them finally. I went to my local shop today and they hadn't gotten their Volkl shipment yet. Must get warranty skis...need them now...must fondle...
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50
    Sweet! It's good to hear people are getting them finally. I went to my local shop today and they hadn't gotten their Volkl shipment yet. Must get warranty skis...need them now...must fondle...

I ordered 183's and they seem to have all dissappeared from Volkl's stashes and shipments. The guy that was helping me at Al's was Paul. He knew my predicament and grabbed some display models for me. Discounted them a bit since they weren't BRAND new and asked me if they would do or if I wanted to keep waiting in hopes of 183 showing up, or try something else or kill the order. I took the display models. Regardless, can't wait to fondle....

Wow I fondled them all night and the are so tearing it up in my living room right now. Vertict is they are indeed stiffer than last years, and I think they might have enough pop in the tail to work as an everyday ski, but time will tell. They are also very purty.

The boot center mark lines up exactly with the mark on my Explosives. But there is a huge tail and the tip might even be a touch shorter. I may mount mine 1/2 - 1 cm forward, which is how they were when I demoed them.

Quote Originally Posted by descender
    and I think they might have enough pop in the tail to work as an everyday ski, but time will tell.
    You can definitely ski them everyday. I almost did, but then that defeats the purpose of having a quiver. Still, they don't like ice much.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

You can definitely ski them everyday. I almost did, but then that defeats the purpose of having a quiver. Still, they don't like ice much.
    yeah, I skied em from december to april around tahoe. Ice? whats that

So it sounds like they work pretty well as an all around ski too? Other than the ice of course....what size do you have? 190 or 183. They're stiff enough to groove a nice turn on a non-icy groomer?
    Skiah for life

Quote Originally Posted by davey
    Ice? whats that
    Good question.

Chowdah, I have the 190s and they'll most definitely hold an edge on a groomer. You just have to work a little to get them up there. As someone mentioned above, it's a lot of ski to roll over. It's like anything though (except the Spatulas), just put it on edge and watch them fly. Don't expect to make slalom turns with them though. Thing biiiiiig kick your mom in the head fast GS.
    Last edited by Arty50; 09-24-2004 at 05:41 PM.

I hope mine are in the same shipment as yours although I think I sent mine back to volkl at sports ltd. much later than you did.

Quote Originally Posted by davey
    I hope mine are in the same shipment as yours although I think I sent mine back to volkl at sports ltd. much later than you did.
    Ok, I have potentially good news for you. I was in LTD yesterday and they told me they had three pairs of Volkls being warrantied. Two pairs of Gotamas and one set of 6 Stars. Assuming the other pair was yours, we're both gonna be stoked verrrry soon.

Ok, I have potentially good news for you. I was in LTD yesterday and they told me they had three pairs of Volkls being warrantied. Two pairs of Gotamas and one set of 6 Stars. Assuming the other pair was yours, we're both gonna be stoked verrrry soon.
    Keep me updated

They have arrived!!!! Badass new toys to fondle. They will be mounted with Look P12's. The wide brakes will need a tiny tweak, but should work great. Man, I'm happier about the Gots than I am the car I just got. Is that a bad thing??? Pics to follow after my digicam charges..

here they be, as seen in the new gear thread...
    Last edited by Theodore; 09-29-2004 at 09:26 PM.