Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I bought a pair from eastvail and although i only had one day on it in the spring slush... all i can say is "damn they're fine!!" This just gives me more stoke for the pow days next season.
    The ski has much more camber underfoot than you would expect from a pow ski, the skis are fairly light and very playful. Landing airs is a breeze and charging is also mighty fun. If you ever go heading towards big blocks of snow or crud that might take out your other skis, have no fear because these skis will save you and blast right through.
    When flexing the ski i noticed the tip and tail are fairly soft while underfoot it seems to be quite stiff.
    So far the skis have been fun and i am very much looking forward to skiing them next season.

btw: i have the skis centermounted at the moment with 916's and hopefully i'll be able to throw a pair of dukes on them for next season, does anyone think i should mount them farther back? i kindof like the center mount, but then again, i've only skiied them one day.

^ not sure where reco. is, but it was fun too(the only place i skied them) and i didn't feel like i had way to little tail. I also flexed them, and they seemed to flex about an inch behind the binding a fair amount, and i wouldn't be suprised if i skied one of the last protos. If you did like them center though(i asked the guy at the demo shack to put the mount forward for me, but he woudln't) i don't see why you would want them mounted back(except to give the 916 holes some space from the dukes)

Although I typically find center mounting awful, rocker would probably change that, since it kinda fixes the problem of center mounting (too much running length behind you). Go with whatever works, there's no written law about where you have to mount them. You probably want to stay with through the top sheets, though.
    EDIT TO ADD: for touring it would make switchbacks a bitch, OTOH, you've got the slide back thingy that the dukes do, so perhaps you're pretty well covered all around.
    Last edited by stuckathuntermtn; 05-13-2009 at 05:18 PM.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

^^^^ thanks for input, i'll keep it as close to center with the dukes and hopefully toy around with it as next season progresses.... i dont know, there is just something about too much tip and too little tail i just dont like...

so how would the chentbettlers do for a guy my size 187cm 80kg... they are going to be a funfunfun playful powski + hucking

Being 183cm 83kg I´m guessing they´ll do great for you. I had just two runs on a pair this winter, but they were easily the most playful and poppy skis I´ve tried. Very good in pow, but super fun on groomed snow where you could do all sorts of dumb stuff on even the smallest bump.
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

What mounting point would you recommend for crud performance and cliff hucks with authority over the tail and not having it wash out.

sorry for the late bump....

BUT im coming from a board to skis, now that i am 6'5" and weigh 230lbs.
    I am getting my first pair of skis and got a killer deal on some salomon mission 8's.

i can get these with some just basic bindings from the atomic rep i know for about 500 bucks, but they are used. i could probably talk him down. my main concern is, am i going to die on these, if they are what im learning on?? i know they are big fat skis, and im understand its nice equipment..
    thanks,
    peter.

Quote Originally Posted by pyromaniacman129 View Post
    sorry for the late bump....

BUT im coming from a board to skis, now that i am 6'5" and weigh 230lbs.
    I am getting my first pair of skis and got a killer deal on some salomon mission 8's.

i can get these with some just basic bindings from the atomic rep i know for about 500 bucks, but they are used. i could probably talk him down. my main concern is, am i going to die on these, if they are what im learning on?? i know they are big fat skis, and im understand its nice equipment..
    thanks,
    peter.
    Go bigger - you'll regret a 183cm ski with 20cm of rocker, it'll just feel too short. I'm 6'2" and considering the Bent but ultimately I think I'll go with the S7 or JJ to get a bit more length.

Thanks for the initial review - happy to see that these sticks are as fun as they look.

[QUOTE=pyromaniacman129;2596222]am i going to die on these, if they are what im learning on?? QUOTE]

Yes, 95% chance of it.

Go to your local shop and get advice there.

If you can't: I think a traditional cambered ski with moderate width (geographically determined) would suit any aggro sb beginner convert.
    bumps are for poor people

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie Law View Post
    Go bigger - you'll regret a 183cm ski with 20cm of rocker, it'll just feel too short. I'm 6'2" and considering the Bent but ultimately I think I'll go with the S7 or JJ to get a bit more length.

Thanks for the initial review - happy to see that these sticks are as fun as they look.
    unless you're skinny, same advice to you-go w 186 Billy Goat or 188/195 S7,
    I'm 5 11 195 and JJs were a bit short, and I'm old and feeble.
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

Hey dudes,
    I am 73 kg and 177 cm tall ? the bent's are good for me? or i should go for sth taller ? I am an expert skier 21 years old skiing in the alps..

woud the atomic bt be to short for me? im 6,1 feet and 170 lbs?

Hi,

I bought the Bentchetlers about 6 days ago, skied them everyday since (in Whistler) and they are without doubt the best ski I've ever owned.
    I'm 6'1, 170lbs.
    Have skiied 190 Gotamas, Prophet 130s, 185 Kuros, pontoons and s7

I thought that at 183 they would be a bit short, but they're absolutely fine. The rocker and width make up for the lack of length. I've used them from 12" fresh powder to chopped up crud, icy groomers and some small drops up to 20'. They are light and easy to throw around, stable on landing (a lot more stable than pontoons), skip over the crud well, and even carve well on groomers. Mine are mounted at -2.5 and that seems perfect. I tried them at -5 (classic mount) and they were absolutely useless.

I've also tried the s7 and hated them; not a technical description but they felt like a short stiff ski under foot with a floppy tip and tail glued on. I didn't find them very playful or fun and they didn't feel as stable as the bentchetlers for charging. But that's just me.

Really fun looking ski. And there must be a reason you cant open a page of a magazine and not see a pair of these. I am not a huge fan of the graphic though. They do seem very short to the eye though. The 185 looks a lot more like 180 to me

Quote Originally Posted by PhilM View Post
    Mine are mounted at -2.5 and that seems perfect. I tried them at -5 (classic mount) and they were absolutely useless.
    Why u say that? They didn't ski better at -5? float better?

It -5 I felt there wasn't enough tail and they wheelied a little. Having them at -2.5 was far more stable through powder and crud and the tips still stay up fine. On groomers at -5 they seemed to skid turns uncomfortably whereas at -2.5 it was a lot easier to carve them and I could go a lot faster in more control.

but usually skis turn easier and they are more stable when they are mounted at -5..
    That sounds strange..

Have any bigger guys rode these? Im 6'0 and 195ish. I love the idea of the playfulness and versatility but think 183 is a little short

What are the chances of getting these on a shop form?
    I'm dying for a pair.

EDIT: just ordered a pair... Now the waiting game begins. I'll post my review here asap.
    Last edited by Xocomil; 12-04-2009 at 12:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    Does he always hold his balls when walking? This matters to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Xocomil View Post
    What are the chances of getting these on a shop form?
    I'm dying for a pair.

EDIT: just ordered a pair... Now the waiting game begins. I'll post my review here asap.
    Where will u mount them?

Quote Originally Posted by oskier View Post
    Where will u mount them?
    I'm not sure yet... I was playing with the idea of mounting some schizos at -2.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    Does he always hold his balls when walking? This matters to me.

20 years old, 5 foot 7 and about 140. Mounted my bentchetlers at 2 back from atomic's center line. I have skied anything from 2 day old snow to over a foot of fresh. These skis rock! Can turn on a dime, and can scrub speed very well. Cant sink the tips when i try, they just float you over everything. Even do great on the hard pack. Little difficult to get on edge at first but then you can really lay turns on groomers with them. For someone who wants a very playful ski i would recommend a mounting point close to center, but for someone who wants to never wash out of wheely out of anything i would go with a 3 to 5 back from the center line. If you can get your hands on this ski, get them you will be very pleased.

Skied 2 days on my Bent's at Kicking Horse Opening. The Conditions ranged from soft pow, wind crust, biggest chunk ever and some icy groomers. I mounted mine at -1cm (2 back). They skied really well. Great stability and floatation. Only got to huck some 20fters, but they stomped them easily and handled fast run outs in crud fine. They S7 is easier to ski IMO, but not as stable. I also skied the JJ and didn't like them at all. Maybe it was the tune. Will post a longer review sooner.

Just got out on mine this past weekend on some soft goomers (thats all we had open).

Skier: 6 ft tall about 185lbs
    Style: I love to charge hard but also like screwing around, buttering and slashing. I ride switch when there's nothing better to do. Minimal jibbing compared to some, but thats only because I am not crazy good at it. Ideal terrain would be pillows, cliff drops, deep pow in the trees.
    Setup: 185 Bentchetlers mounted -1cm with Atomic FFG 14's. I had requested the shop mount -2 but they screwed up, so I am dealing with them at -1.
    Skis I like: ARG's, 189 Seth's, 185 Scratch BC's, Volkl Bridge, Volkl Karma... etc.
    Skis I didn't like: 178 Line Anthem (noodle), 194 LP (too much for me), 192 Lotus 138 (prefered the playfulness that I got with my ARGs).
    FYI- I am a gear whore and have probably been through upwards of 20 skis in the past 4 years. As you can see, I typically like skis on the medium stiffness range. For everyday, I am not the type of guy who isn't going to love riding an LP, I'd rather be on Scratch BC's.

As some have said here... best skis I have ever ridden. This is no exageration. These skis are THE SHIT. Definately an everyday ski for out west. I live back east and will probably end up riding these 75% of my days.

I took them out for my first run of the day which I thought would be simply to test them out for a run or two, then I would switch back to my bridges as we were riding groomers. Skating up to the lift line, I was a little skeptical as they were sliding around like my ARG's and felt like they were going to be a little tricky to engage the edge. All that changed in the way down. We stopped about mid run and my face already hurt from smiling so much.

These skis carve complete trenches. The turning radius was a huge shock to me, as they could make way tighter turns on hardpack than my bridges. I had chosen these over the JJ's as I was worried the JJ's would be a little too turny, and after experiencing the Bents I know I made the right decison. Buttering was so much fun - these skis have a ton of pop. I felt like I could air twice as big as normal off of any bump or roller. Wildly playful and would legitimately be a hell of a lot of fun in the park.

So far as the balance point, this is where your have to be on you shit and it is definatly where people washing out and not liking these comes from. My first 5 runs or so were perfect as I had complete control at all times. On my 6th or so run, I started getting a little lazy and relaxed into the backseat. I immediately lost control and almost ate shit. I thought there was something wrong with the ski, I litterely stopped to see of I had snapped one of the tails because that is what it felt like. After thinking about it for a second, I realized that my stance had completely changed from being a little tired (yes I am in horrible shape). Continuing down and concentrating on my stance, it never happened again. Basically, you have to stand over these with a very centered and even slightly forward stance. If you like to lean back, look for some different skis.

At the end of the day, I only really got to ride these on groomers and a little chopped up natural crap. In both of these conditions they were completely dominant. I can confidently say these are my favorite skis even though I've never ridden them in the conditions they were designed for... because a rockered ski with 123 underfoot will definately do well in pow.

SUMMARY: If you are a similar skier to the way I described myself above... buy these skis. Period.
    "Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."

My Flickr Photostream