Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th

Xcountry ski (misery stickin') tracksetting

Anyone got the specs for building a trackset unit? How a far apart are the ski tracks for a pair? How wide should each ski track be? How far apart should the pairs of tracks be to accommodate skating up the middle. Can't find shit on this on google or such. Lots of other specs like slope, width, radius of turns but none of this most basic info.

Any ideas on what and how to build the trackset unit would be great too.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

Why not go to a local CC center and look at their tracksetter?
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

XC skiing for the monks?

maybe call the nordic center (watch out, Anna Bushnell works the main info center/office)

Should I know Anna Bushnell?

Freeheel guy, the computer is a lot more local than a 'local' cc centre. In fact if a cc centre existed that locally would I really be looking at doing my own? This is the land of chinooks.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

Don't know if these guys had a clue, but here's kw's trail map, L7.

http://www.kirkwood.com/main.asp?pID=74

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Don't know if these guys had a clue, but here's kw's trail map, L7.

http://www.kirkwood.com/main.asp?pID=74
    I've found lots of maps and stuff. That's not what I need. Basically how far are your feet apart when you're in the track. It's really stupid and simple and no one thinks about it much (including FIS apparently). I'm sure there is a pretty standard width that works way better than slight variances. Just not sure if it's say 4" or 8". Tonight I discovered the track accommodates a 60mm ski.

I'll either find it or make something up. I can set something up that can be changed fairly easily.

We have snow! And I have 500 acres, skis, harnesses and a dog that can ski joer and the desire to have a track my dog can pull me on without whiney xc bitches. FKNA!

Oh yea, I figured out who Anna is. She's easy enough to deal with isn't she? I'll keep it uncomplicated.

Quote Originally Posted by L7 View Post
    I've found lots of maps and stuff. That's not what I need. Basically how far are your feet apart when you're in the track. It's really stupid and simple and no one thinks about it much (including FIS apparently). I'm sure there is a pretty standard width that works way better than slight variances. Just not sure if it's say 4" or 8". Tonight I discovered the track accommodates a 60mm ski.

I'll either find it or make something up. I can set something up that can be changed fairly easily.

We have snow! And I have 500 acres, skis, harnesses and a dog that can ski joer and the desire to have a track my dog can pull me on without whiney xc bitches. FKNA!
    I just got a Great Pyrenees pup who I now consider my future uphill transportation. Snow dog!

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Yea thanks. I was on that or a similar site already, no actual specs but the pictures certainly help. The cross section is really sloped so the appearance of the spacing being very close may just come from there. It'd be good to know what center to center of the tracks is. I like the tractor pulling the unit because that's going to be my mode of pulling.

Splat, If you to skijoernow.com they've got all the sled dog harnesses, the pulling bungies and quick release clips (key). I just use a climbing harness but they have specialty ones. I've also just used a training chest harness but it might be hard to get one big enough for a pyrenees. Yours may weigh up to twice as much as mine and mine has plenty of pulling power.

I thot skijoring is done on skate skis and no tracks with hot sled dogs?

Quote Originally Posted by L7 View Post
    Just not sure if it's say 4" or 8".
    Pretty sure it's more like 10". I'll take a tape measure with me tonight and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I thot skijoring is done on skate skis and no tracks with hot sled dogs?
    The old guys up there will want the tracks, I'll be skating/skijoering with the dog in between 2 tracks or to one side of a single track.

German shorthair pointers are quite popular for ski joer and husky gsp mixes are used for it and for sprint length sledding. Mine doesn't have the flat out speed of either (nor do I) but she powers from all 4 wheels and has great torque. Mine is a Wirehaired pointing Griffon, pretty similar to a GSP but a better cold weather coat for one thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    Pretty sure it's more like 10". I'll take a tape measure with me tonight and report back.
    That'd be great, thanks, that's what I'm looking for. Center to center or left edge to left edge whatever would clear things up and I can do whatever from there.

Found it! “The ski tracks must be prepared so that ski control and gliding are possible
    without a lateral braking effect by any parts of the bindings. The two tracks
    should be set 17-30 cm. apart, measured from the middle of each track. The
    depth of the track should be 2-5 cm, even in hard or frozen snow.”

I had checked the US association site and was referred to FIS but this (with diagrams) came off the Canadian nordic site. 17-30 is a lot of variance which explains some of the different answers. There used to be specs for woman and kids but it says they are mostly ignored now and the groomers are often factory preset. I'll probably go about 22 -23 cm which is around 9".