Check Out Our Shop

What the hell is ski packing?

A few too many safety meetings today or else the guy who wrote this is high. My friend just got this email:

"Here we go! We will have ski packing for FULL TIME INSTRUCTORS ONLY starting on Monday November 10. We will have ONE session per day from 10:00 AM - 12:30 PM. We will plan on this on a daily basis though the week. We will depart the locker room at 10:00 sharp. You will not need your employee ID for ski packing before we are open."

What the hell is ski packing? My imagination is wandering into some dark snow traps

I think by ski packing they mean sidestepping down ungroomed trails to literally pack the snow down so a good, firm base is made. This is so when more new snow arrives, you have a more stable base and all the snow doesn't slide out when you turn.

Sounds like freebie early-season laps for your friend.

I was hoping it meant they were going to pack all the ski instructors into a truck and drive off a cliff

Quote Originally Posted by skierhj View Post
    I was hoping it meant they were going to pack all the ski instructors into a truck and drive off a cliff
    Not a fan of ski instructors?

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    The sidestepping downhill as mentioned to establish a base. OR it could be packing by simply skiing it to do the same thing. Guess which one is less work and more fun.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

I would be a fan of that, my dad is a patroller, so he has passed on his attitude on sick of suck up instructors to me.
    Always charging it in honor of Flyin' Ryan Hawks.

ski-packing is what they did before snowcats were invented. like, millions of years ago, man!

my granny only knew this method of preparing a ski run in the forties and as a kid they made us go at 6am on the mountain to pack the snow before competitions.

it wasn't always downhill.

ski packing is when the instructers get together and fuck each other up the ass. What the hell did you think it was?

Some resorts still use packing on steeper locations where cats are not as easy or not possible to use.

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    It's a lot easier to take a cat down a steep pitch for the first time in a season if it's been ski packed then if it hasn't.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

wow retard thread

Mwwaaahhh. Great idea.
    i wish i never chose that user_name

Whitedot Freeride

Silverton is giving away free tickets for people who go do this. Just sayin.

Brian Head used to give us lunch and a lift ticket for every ski packing session. You can't take groomers down steep, early season coverage.