Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    How are these skis so cheap. I personAlly love the mavens but whichever one you like. ....Is there some catch with quality or how they ski or is this truly a smal company doing it right. Do the other bluehouse skis kill it compared to other big company skis of respective style?
    Good questions. Well, they are so cheap because the Bluehouse crew still work "real jobs" and the 5-6 of us don't pull down fat salaries with fat expense accounts like the boys at Solly and K2. Heck, when we splurge it's for tacos from the taco stand down the street from HQ.

If we cut corners on quality we'd in no way be in biz next season. The dough we do make goes into making the best ski we can given our technology and manufacturing partner, which is in China.

Quote Originally Posted by snowful View Post
    Are they made in China?
    Yes sir.

Quote Originally Posted by StroupSkier View Post
    BH has done a good job combining two different aspects of ski marketing and manufacturing.

1) They are made in China so they cost much less to procuce. Somewhere the number $27/pair has been thrown around just to manufacture. I'm not sure what other cost may be involved - shipping/duties/ect.

2) They sell skis through there own website cutting out the middle man.
    Whoa Stroup, if you've got a source on making skis that cheap we'd like to talk biz! $27 per pair prolly doesn't cover the steel and the carbon fiber in the Shoots or Districts. But thanks for the compliment - we do try to work the best angle on marketing (WOM vs. $30K on magazine ads) and manufacturing (China has it's pros and cons)

Sure, cutting out the middleman is nice, but the reasons we sell direct are to keep the price affordable, ensure that we can best service our customers and to control the point of contact for our brand. Following the "proven path" of making skis and being at the mercy of shops to sell them ignores the capabilities of technology and Biz 2.0. Sheep we are not.

Because they sell this way they appear to be an "Indy", however they make skis at 1/10th the cost of most indies.
    So anyone not making skis in their garage isn't Independent?

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post
    will post revised speculation after someone verifies how much metal is in the Shoots (if it turns out to have no metal, I will cry, but the text "running over babies" will still appear in my revised write-up).
    Metal fer sure. How much, I'm not completely sure since we went through a few changes from prototype to finished product (and I'm not the designer). We'll have it in our hands next week after one of our crew gets back from flying the friendly skies. After that we'll do the famous flex video...perhaps this time from the taco stand.
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

So what seperates you from Volkl then? You only sell on your website? The skis are still made in China. I didn't say it was bad or good, just that it would not be my approach.

No, I don't consider BH to be an Indy. An Indy to me is someone who takes the time to manufacture the skis themselves so that they can give the customer the best possible ski and describe in detail the production process of that individual ski. It's not about being independant of others. If that were the case every ski manufacturer, including Volkl, Atomic and Solly would be indies. It's about being independant from others.

There is obviously a fine line with that though. At PM Gear we do most of our manufacturing in house, however we do have other parts that are machined or cut elsewhere before they are sent to Reno for construction. We also have some skis made in Europe. Do I still consider us an Indy? Yes, but borderline.

What I really want to know is, what drives BH and the people who started and worked there? Anyone can come up with a ski, manufacture it and what not, but what is your goal?
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermittent
    And furthermore. What is up with turkey bacon? Healthy bacon? Unpossible.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowsprite
    That is like masturbation. People resort to it when they can't have the real thing!

I can get you skis for $27 a pair, but I need you to send me your bank routing and account information first so I cna make a small deposit on materials.
    That is like masturbation. People resort to it when they can't have the real thing!

By Stroups defintition, DPS is no longer Indy ski.
    Neither is PMGear - not once you went to europe for part of your production.

Actually, PMGear was never indy. Wasn't year 1 pressed by a snowboard company in UT?
    And Year 2 was pressed by a ski company in Quebec?
    And part of year 3 or 4 was pressed in Europe with AK Skis?

Nope. Bros are not Indies, and may never have been so? Interesting definition, my friend.

Howzabout we get off the "I made em myself" definition and focus on their size and association with the established ski companies?

BH = indy
    PMGear = Indy
    DPS = Indy
    Icelantic = Indy
    etc etc etc.
    . . .

back on topic. sorta. any videos of maven or shoots

Quote Originally Posted by powstash View Post
    After that we'll do the famous flex video...perhaps this time from the taco stand.
    I vote for the "Taco Stand Flex Video" to become the new standard in BH marketing local! Seriously.

okbye
    TELL YOUR BOOBS TO QUIT STARING AT MY EYES!!!1!

Here, I'll help you out:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    RENO SUPERMOTO

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    By Stroups defintition, DPS is no longer Indy ski.
    Neither is PMGear - not once you went to europe for part of your production.

Actually, PMGear was never indy. Wasn't year 1 pressed by a snowboard company in UT?
    And Year 2 was pressed by a ski company in Quebec?
    And part of year 3 or 4 was pressed in Europe with AK Skis?

Nope. Bros are not Indies, and may never have been so? Interesting definition, my friend.

Howzabout we get off the "I made em myself" definition and focus on their size and association with the established ski companies?

BH = indy
    PMGear = Indy
    DPS = Indy
    Icelantic = Indy
    etc etc etc.
    I'm pretty sure I choose my works exactly like I wanted to. I don't have a problem with farming out the manufacturing once the ski has been produced in house for a few years to work out the kinks, especially once the orders surpase what you are capable of manufacturing yoruself.

Why focus on size? What happens when someone comes up with the next big idea for skis and custom makes 10,000 pair in his garage a year? Are they no longer indy because they produce too much? Burton started off this way and look how big they are now. Given the preorder totals last year, what makes you think that BH has not already surpased the sales mark of every other indy?

As far a Bros are concerned I don't kow the full history to be honest. I do know that Pat went to the factory in Quebec to get the skis made, that Mags put the money up to get the company started and that the Maggots in general had a say in the ski design. I don't think Solly, Rossi and Volkl do that. The goal was to make a ski that the Mags would enjoy skiing and wanted to see produced.

As far as Bluehouse is concerned, I'd like to know why they think they are differenent than those companies. Even though the skis are made in China, maybe they are focusing on different distribution methods to cut cost and give that discount on to other people - the way they have on TGR with the early buy. I don't thinks that's evil, just a pretty good business plan.

To me though it looks like they are set up to produce a lower cost ski without having the overhead of a manufacturing plant, and make some money so they can make a living and go skiing. If that is there master plan, I don't have a problem with that. They have certainly done their best to work in an industry where not a lot of people make much money, find a way to make customers happy and get some skiing in.

I'm not attacking BH. I have encoraged people to ski on them both before and after I started working at PM Gear. I don't work that way, and think the many smaller/indy companies can all be successful at the same time. I just find it funny that people are labeling the greatest thing since sliced bread without knowing a lick about the company.

stroupskier, "i'm not attacking you," but stick with pm gear, because i don't think that you have a future in diplomacy

I know quite a bit about the company in fact..and they are all nice guys.

Seems they may have found a better way to do things...does that make them not an "indy" co? I dont think so.

Maybe they just found a better way to do it than PMGear, Icelantic, Movement, etc.????

I think its great that there are offerings other than the "big names"..

Keep up the good work...you're all still "indy" IMHO.

No, I don't consider BH to be an Indy. An Indy to me is someone who takes the time to manufacture the skis themselves so that they can give the customer the best possible ski and describe in detail the production process of that individual ski.
    Seriously, shut the fuck up. You don't even know what independant [sic] means... you certainly shouldn't be deciding who has a right to the label and who doesn't. All that matters is that these guys are churning out great skis at great prices with great customer service (as far as I know), and the shapes/flexes are progressive and niche and what folks on this board seem to want. Who the fuck cares what their business looks like unless they're making their cores from the bones of African babies, and their top sheets from baby seal skin (which would be badass, by the way).

I'm pretty sure I choose my works exactly like I wanted to.
    You wanted to sound like a complete fucking idiot?

It's not about being independant of others... It's about being independant from others.
    You're tripping over yourself and doing a horrible job of representing PM gear if you're actually affiliated with those guys. The ones I've met on the slopes have only ever been super enthusiastic about any other small shop and would never claim theirs is the only way to do things. Shut up before you douche up all their hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by flip View Post
    unless they're making their cores from the bones of African babies, and their top sheets from baby seal skin (which would be badass, by the way).
    Ill take 2 pr.

Do you know if the flex is stiff or soft? What lengths?

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Ill take 2 pr.

Do you know if the flex is stiff or soft? What lengths?
    soft... they don't get their recommended calcium over there... oh shit... i'm going to hell for that

does bh have an overseas liason checking on production quality at the chinese plant?
    Which plant are they made in? One of the ones the larger companies use?
    I only kinda sorry if this has been covered previously. I put the chinese tag there.

Quote Originally Posted by lobstahmeatwad View Post
    does bh have an overseas liason checking on production quality at the chinese plant?
    Which plant are they made in? One of the ones the larger companies use?
    I only kinda sorry if this has been covered previously. I put the chinese tag there.
    We've been logging some serious sky miles to be sure that each time our skis are being made we've got a man on the ground in the trenches. We take designs over, discuss them, test stuff, etc. Shane is taking off for the factory again tomorrow. It aint cheap, but we can't leave that stuff to chance ya know.

Can't tell ya what plant they are made in but our guy has many years experience making skis and snowboards. Some brands you've heard of, some you've not (NZ, Euro and Aussi brands too). Best of all, just as if we had the press in our garage, we're able to experiment quite a bit to dial in different flexes, materials, shapes, sizes, camber...you name it. It's fun stuff, but not as fun as skiing waist deep pow by any means.

No worries if it's been asked before. Once a JONG always a...
    Last edited by powstash; 09-13-2008 at 01:12 AM.
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

When BH made their appearance on TGR they did not even claim to be an Indy, but a Small Company. Do they even consider themselves an "Indy"?

I don't give a shit about diplomacy, never have and never will. I call things like I see them. If you don't like it, then maybe you should open your ask and start asking yourself why you beleive what you do. You sound like a bunch of 5 year olds arguing about who's dad is cooler.

I just think it is funny that I have commended BH for finding a new business model, encouraged people to ski their skis and am tempted to get a pair myself, yet because I don't think they are an "Indy" you guys are jumping all over me. Maybe instead of worrying about my diplomacy you should learn a little reading comprehension. Especially you flip.
    Last edited by StroupSkier; 09-13-2008 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by powstash View Post
    We've been logging some serious sky miles to be sure that each time our skis are being made we've got a man on the ground in the trenches. We take designs over, discuss them, test stuff, etc. Shane is taking off for the factory again tomorrow. It aint cheap, but we can't leave that stuff to chance ya know.

Can't tell ya what plant they are made in but our guy has many years experience making skis and snowboards. Some brands you've heard of, some you've not (NZ, Euro and Aussi brands too). Best of all, just as if we had the press in our garage, we're able to experiment quite a bit to dial in different flexes, materials, shapes, sizes, camber...you name it. It's fun stuff, but not as fun as skiing waist deep pow by any means.

No worries if it's been asked before. Once a JONG always a...
    powtash, thanks for answering the questions about overseeing production. It is nice to know that you have a guy there watching over production rather than having them show up on a boat and hoping they are good.

You sound like a bunch of 5 year olds arguing about who's dad is cooler.
    i am trying to say this as objectively as possible... but i reeeally think that you have it exactly backwards on this one.

but, on the whole (ha ha ha... on the hole...), maybe you have a point. maybe you don't... i'm not even trying to argue that. and maybe you've even been supportive of BH overall (i don't even particularly have any opinion of their products yet, myself)... but your presence in THIS THREAD has been largely in bad form. especially due to your eagerness to rep pm gear (which has a time and a place... and a seperate thread)

this is in all due respect. honestly.

No offense, but I skied Bluehouse districts almost 100 days last year, and I will not buy them ever again. They are soft, squirrley, and lack edge hold. more importantly, they delammed after the first 50 days. NOT what I would have expected... hopefully my Scratch Steezes will have better results

Quote Originally Posted by persianpunisher View Post
    No offense, but I skied Bluehouse districts almost 100 days last year, and I will not buy them ever again. They are soft, squirrley, and lack edge hold. more importantly, they delammed after the first 50 days. NOT what I would have expected... hopefully my Scratch Steezes will have better results
    You skied a ski you didn't like 100 days?! WTF is the matter with you?

And what is a persian punisher--rug beater?

Quote Originally Posted by 5B View Post
    You skied a ski you didn't like 100 days?! WTF is the matter with you?

And what is a persian punisher--rug beater?

No, I am an attorney who beats ignorant assh**es like yourself.

The bluehouses were fine until about 30 days. They became too soft and mushy

The bluehouses were fine until about 30 days. They became too soft and mushy
    Seems like an attorney ought to be able to afford to buy something different after the skis went to shit.

Maybe they weren't that bad?

I could give two shits about what an independent ski company is. I just want to know:

Do you make good, unique skis that perform and do you stand behind that ski?

If you do then I support you, if you don't it doesn't matter if I support you.

So when you called to complain did they ask you to pound sand or did you just not say peep until now? Just curious.

September 2008 join date and already making friends after five posts. When will these JONGs ever learn??

k bh is truly a customer service company. personally i hav put my own time into bh by providing them w/ my own advertisement design. now its us that hav helped them.
    and for a ski to be constructed material alone it costs about $150 - core, titanium, epoxy, steel edges, ptex, and base 4000, and topsheet