Check Out Our Shop

Thread: Kaua'i beta

Kaua'i beta

It's that time to plan the annual fall surf mission. We usually get a month plus to play in the water and get ready for the ski season. This year we're choosing Kaua'i since my wife will be 6 months pregnant and we want somewhere we can drink the water and totally be chill. We're planning on being there in October, and it will be my first time to the Kaua'i.

Question is where to be on the island. We are booking a home (vrbo) in Hanalei. Should we spend the whole time there or mix it up with a week on the south side (or elsewhere?) We are avid surfers, hikers, and sunset chillers. I've been reading about all the hiking options on the north shore, what about surf conditions? I am an average surfer who is well aware of the rules and respectful, and just want to have a good time and catch a few rides. Don't worry Vince I'll stay out of your way. I'm bringing my long board (and maybe short board as well?) and looking for good suggestions where I can surf without pissing anyone off (besides staying home...)

Lastly, anyone have any good recommendations for vacation rentals. I found a couple that look good on vrbo, but any personal experiences or recs? I think we prefer homes vs. condos and resorts.

Thanks for any help, and yes I did search already. Peace.

From my limited experience (a few fun trips to Kauai) you are exactly in the right spot. No need to stay South for a week, the north shore is where you will want to be. You will not have to worry about crowded breaks at all. Hanalei is the place to stay!
    "Girl, let us freak."

lots of good hiking in the south though. waimea canyon has some gorgeous trails to waterfall type stuff

get this guidebook
    http://www.wizardpub.com/Kauai/kauai.html

though everyone has it now. but its pretty spot on in terms of quality.

there is an awesome place in there for breakfast in Lihue, but i can't remember the name of it. its been 3 years and my wife and i still drool over the pancakes and coffee

if you dont already have it, get the book called kauai trails. great hiking info. you already kno where to go for surf. aloha.

if ya plan to overnight in the south, the kokee housekeeping cabins are very affordable. they're a bit more rustic than hotels, condos, etc. but they ain't camping. the island's highlands are pretty different than other parts of the island and for many family and i were worth spending more than a few hours checking out.

I second this recommendation ^^. Stayed in one for a couple of nights and hiked the trails (try Alaka'i Swamp Trail). Very cool and peaceful. Very different from coast. If you go, pick up some dinner and wood for the stove before you get there.

Hit up Larsen's Beach(n.shore) for total seclusion. At least it was 6 yrs ago...

Kauai Beta

The north swells generally start in September. Since you are going in Oct. you may hit it just right. You mention you are bringing a longboard, Hanalei Bay is a longboard paradise when you get a north swell. If you are renting a home in Hanalei you and your wife can walk to the beach, no worries, you have picked the right area.