Film grain sizes for different ISOs?

I'm working on a project and I need to know how big the grains are in different ISO speed films. I've been having a bitch of a time hunting this info down, all I know right now is that ISO 100 ~ 6 microns, and ISO 800 ~ 17 microns.

I'd like to know more ISO vs. grain size pairs, at least ISO 400 and ISO 1600 as well. A nice chart that has ISO in increments of 100 would be just awesome though

I realize these might not be completely determined by eachother, but all I need is a typical/average grain size for a given ISO.

bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    Did you try http://photo.net/ ?
    If you can't find the answer there, try asking it there.
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

Hugh Conway Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    The stanford link is awesome, thanks!

I guess the reason I had such difficulty finding this stuff is because most of this documentation is on the relationship with print grain, which I know nothing about.

I will start looking up the relationship between film grain and print grain.

I'm a JONG with regards to this stuff, I'm just a computer programmer that happens to be working on a project related to film.

It depends on the emulsion, exposure, the developer, and the development, not just the rated sensitivity.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Agreed, but isn't there a general trend of ISO ~ grain size? I've found quite a bit of literature already that states this much. I found a dozen ISO 100 films that are all within 6-10 microns, whereas I found a single value for ISO 800 film at 17 microns.

All I'm trying to do is give people an approximation of what kind of ISO they are simulating, so all I need is some ballpark values. Hell, there is way more error in the rest of the system to accurately declare the grains as x microns anyways.