MiniDV vs. Mini DVD?

Filming to digi tape vs. filming to a mini disc. Any thoughts on the pros and cons of these two formats? Is it just a convenience thing or is the quality of picture better on the mini disc? When all is said and done, what am I gaining if I go the mini DVD route?

Sick and ashamed and happy (and, while I'm here, may as well ask (again) what I need in a digi camcorder if I want to make decent skiing home videos while keeping the cost at around $700 CDN ($500 US ?)),
    d.

I don't have advice on the camera types or whatever, but I would highly suggest looking for a camera on ebay. I got a refurbished one on there for 1/2 the price of retail. It came with all new (and wrapped) parts and the camera looked like it had never been used. This is a pretty good route to take if you want to get the best bang for your buck.

The only con is that the warranty is voided...

Mini DV unless you really can afford the $ for dvd's. Tape you can reuse if you want, dvd RW doesnt play in most peeps players so......
    $500 US? Good luck. Ebay sucks for new electronics. Do a search and new is same $ w/ beter shipping etc.
    Check bhphotovideo.com
    not sure what the Canadian deal is w/ "imported" vs. US market but gray market is sometimes quite a bit cheaper.
    BTW I use a Sony PC120 min dv, mostly cuz of its size and weight. I want a PC330, oh yeah!

Go for miniDV. You'll be able to get a much nicer camera for the money, and it's probably more durable than the DVDs. Plus, you can buy miniDV tapes anywhere now.
    "There is a hell of a huge difference between skiing as a sport- or even as a lifestyle- and skiing as an industry"
    Hunter S. Thompson, 1970 (RIP)

One thing I wonder about, and don't know the answer, is if the mini DVD models perform better in wet environments. If you're skiing with your camera it will get damp and this tends to gum up the tape mechanism, and can easily ruin the entire unit. So from this perspective there may be some advantage to the disc over the tape.

16mm!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Originally posted by The AD
    One thing I wonder about, and don't know the answer, is if the mini DVD models perform better in wet environments. If you're skiing with your camera it will get damp and this tends to gum up the tape mechanism, and can easily ruin the entire unit. So from this perspective there may be some advantage to the disc over the tape.
    Well if NW winter/spring skiing counts as wet mini dv works fine. Mostly gotta worry about condensation. Cold to warm is killer w/o a ziplock