Check Out Our Shop
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    ^^ any word on the McCarthy resort ?
    You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

The current word is that construction is actually ahead of schedule and they are going to open next season. I was up there a couple of weeks ago doing avalanche training and I saw so much amazing terrain I just can't wait to get my skis on. The real question right now is if they are going to build the final lift to the top of the mountain. That's complicated here due to the massive amounts of snow, i.e. avy danger, and a Russian propensity to not follow rules or listen to warnings. The person I know who seems to know the most says that they can put it all together if they want to. Likely access to the top will be limited to free riders with a system similar to Silverton. I will update here as next season approaches or information becomes available.

On a separate note, my understanding is that McCarthy isn't really involved in the project any more. I haven't spoken with him in a long time, this is just something I heard. Fortunately, I think his expertise was utilized enough in the planning of the resort that it will work out pretty well. My own personal opinion is that if they build to the top, it will really be one of the best ski resorts in the world.

This is Russia, though, and anything can happen. That being said, it just snowed 8 feet over the past five days at the top of the mountain. Today the skies cleared, bluebird, and holy fucking shit was the skiing just off the hook. My adrenalin is still pumping...

^^ Fucking sweet, it looks like we will be there next Feb if we can get everything figured out.
    You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

Skied KP in 2004, really good terrain. Heli-skiing was OK, but they never took us on really steep terrain. Tree skiing was incredible though.

Too bad the prices are so high. YOu can heli-ski cheaper in AK (Points North for ex), with far better terrain, and better guides. Like anything in Russia, the prices are crazy, especially for what you get.

I am boycotting Russia for whatever it's worth, not that it matters to anyone else but me.

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Worth a trip this year? Later this month into early April.

^^^ I'd say that's pretty late in the season, you're more likely to get Spring skiing than the great snow that makes KP a destination. If you can come next year, probably better. That way you'll be able to ski the new resort. I think I actually may be in Hokkaido in January, perhaps you can show me around a bit there, and I'll do the same when you're here?

In response to Rod9301, it sounds like you posted without reading through the thread. Prices in dollar terms have come way down thanks to the devalued Rouble. From what I can tell, heli-skiing costs about the same as Points North. As for terrain and guides, I've never been so I can't compare. I'd be interested to know which outfit you skied with, because one of them tends to be much more cautious about terrain than the other. Also, if the group is weak, they have to adjust accordingly. I agree with your point about your Russia boycott, though: nobody cares.

Still, I've been to AK and KP, and there is no comparison between the service, safety and professionalism of guides. I obviously like adventures, I spent 12 months mountain climbing around the world.

The only place I saw unsafe guides was in Kazakhstan, where they all Russian.

Even if the priced have come down to be the same as POints North, how is it possible that a Third World Country like Russia is not a lot cheaper?

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Even if the priced have come down to be the same as POints North, how is it possible that a Third World Country like Russia is not a lot cheaper?
    That's a good question, actually. I think the main reason is that, unlike the US and like Europe, Russia has heavy domestic tariffs on petroleum and petroleum products, even though they are a large oil producer. The tariffs are used to subsidize public transportation and infrastructure. If Points North didn't have such high insurance premiums, on which the Russian operators save, they would be that much cheaper.

It sounds like you were fleeced when you came here. That's a common occurrence in any third world country, and even some developed ones, when foreigners arrive with no local contacts or knowledge. Avoiding that is why I am on here trying to help people out who want to make the trip.

Looks like they get quite the snowfall in the region. Any idea on average numbers for the year? Are we talking 8 meters? 12 meters? 15 meters?

Hugh Conway Guest
    The only place I saw unsafe guides was in Kazakhstan, where they all Russian.
    guess you really didn't go all around the world then.

Climbed in South America, Africa, Central Asia, CHina amd Japan. THe Russian guides were the only onew without a UIAGM certification.
    I have horror stories from climbing Khan Tengri and Belukha in Kazakhstan.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Climbed in South America, Africa, Central Asia, CHina amd Japan. THe Russian guides were the only onew without a UIAGM certification.
    so, you hate 90% of US guides? there's shit guides everywhere.

I've seen scary shit in India, US, Europe, Peru and Argentina. None of the guides were Russian.

Quote Originally Posted by NashBoarder View Post
    Looks like they get quite the snowfall in the region. Any idea on average numbers for the year? Are we talking 8 meters? 12 meters? 15 meters?
    I really don't have any idea on the average numbers per season. Honestly, I don't even know how that's usually calculated. Measuring snowfall here would depend a lot on location, elevation, aspect, distance to the Black Sea, etc. It's a maritime climate, and temperatures rarely get below -15C at the top of the mountain. My own, very unscientific measurement, is that it is a shit-ton.

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizhnik View Post
    ^^^ I'd say that's pretty late in the season, you're more likely to get Spring skiing than the great snow that makes KP a destination. If you can come next year, probably better. That way you'll be able to ski the new resort. I think I actually may be in Hokkaido in January, perhaps you can show me around a bit there, and I'll do the same when you're here?
    Thanks. Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    “Nastrovye!"
    its actually "na zdorovye" (to good health)

lizhnik, thanks for the writeup. KP is one of the places i really want to check out at some point. ive been to sochi as a child, but not to ski. loved that place.

do you know if anyone flies direct from kiev? all i could find were connecting flights through either moscow or vienna.
    "If you are not nervous about your passion, you are not passionate enough about it."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...tionaries3.jpg

Unfortunately, there are no direct flights from Kiev at the moment. However, I think there are a fair amount of flights between Kiev and Moscow, and there certainly are between Moscow and Sochi. I'd just try and make sure you fly into and out of the same airport. Let me know if you need any help with other arrangements. Knowing Russian will certainly make your life easier.
    Last edited by Lizhnik; 03-19-2009 at 08:49 AM.

Krasnaya Polyana

Hey,

I'll be heading to Krasnaya Polyana in late Feb 2010. I don't know much about getting there except heading to Sochi. You mention that there are a 2 resorts operating and a new one opening in 2010.

Any tips on websites and or accommodation advice would be awesome.

I wanted to take the opportunity to update this thread with a long anticipated event and some of the biggest news to skiers: the opening of the Roza Khutor resort last weekend. While two other resorts have opened over the past few years, Roza is the only truly world-class designed resort that takes the most advantage of the local terrain. It is the farthest east from the Black Sea and so it gets more snow than the other resorts. The terrain is also the best around. This will be the site of all the Olympic skiing events. It is also where the FWT comp will be held in March (I think the riders should be pretty psyched by the new venue.).

I was so impressed with Roza that I’m not really sure where to start. I think a lot of the reason has to do with the input from some good, seasoned veterans (foreign, of course) into design. Avalanche control is really well thought out and executed. The lifts are great. But the best part is a free ride-friendly policy. You can ski wherever you want, nothing is marked or off limits. Ski patrol “suggests” that you stay away from certain areas. And they will, of course, close the top when avalanche danger reaches a certain level.

Depending on snow conditions, vertical is almost 1800m. The top lift alone covers 1000m of vert and you can currently ski from about 2300m to 950m. That’s a long run that will cover plenty of wide open alpine and tree skiing. In short, it’s a free ride heaven-on-earth.

Below are a couple of pictures I took this past week. Sorry for the shitty photography, that’s not my forte. The first picture is from the top looking west towards the Black Sea and the Alpika-Service resort. The second picture is a roughly 5 minute traverse east into what was a completely untracked bowl. As you can tell, if you keep going east, there are lots of possibilities.

Thats some good shitski

Wow. Looks sick. FKNA
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

"We been runnin' these goddam hills for dang near, huh?"
    Sturgis Uncensored

Great place Lizhnik!! I think I might have a reason to start planning a ski trip across the Black sea sometime soon . Is there any information available on this new resort somewhere online, things like how to travel to there, prices of lift passes and hotels? Are there any cheap locations for people who just want to ski and don't care about the complexities of expensive apres-ski activities.Я говорю по руский, и поетому не будеть проблем руский сайтьй читать
    wow.. I just did a quick search in google, the place looks really cool, especially the vertical you get with those new gondolas!!
    http://www.rosaski.com/resort/#map
    The flight is quite cheap aslo Sofia-Sochi-Sofia in mid march costs 130 euros ... actually they are 430, I didn't read things properly ..
    Lizhnik, is march a good time to come to Krasnaia poliana and Rosa Khutor? How is the snow cover then? Do you get good powder? And how about accommodation, any recommendations? WHo knows.. we might be heading your way sometime this year, the snow cover in Bulgarian mountains is the worst in history this season...
    Last edited by Vihren; 02-04-2011 at 07:55 AM.

Thumbs up

Ahhh TGR the source of ifo. Just as i considered the kuzok thing (after reading it actually opened) for a trip, I find fresh information on the new resort here. yay!

sooo can you actually get a room in kuzok? or is everything still to be built?
    and more important? how fast can i get a Visa? I read something that as a EU resident I need a travel agency to organize it for me, or a "host" who invites me?

flights are 300 euros, so that's not a problem...

Because im considering a spontaneous trip on carnival if this crap here does not change for the better.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

I should've added some more details in my original post, I just didn't realize people would be ready to spontaneously make a trip to Russia. Unfortunately, Roza is going to be either closed or severely restricted over the next 2.5 weeks due to the Russian and then European Cup Downhill and GS competitions being held there. The local management is trying to keep it open but security services are being very strict due in part to the recent bombing in Moscow. It's too bad because there's a great storm cycle blowing through right now.

The competition is due to end Feb. 27, so if you are planning a trip the first two weeks of March would be best. You can come now, there are two other resorts that will take you up to about the same altitude. But, the downsides will be difficulty with lodging, as a lot of people will be in town for the races, and the potential for an overcrowded, less-than-pleasant experience.

As for visas, they can be expedited for an extra charge. It is advisable to go through those agencies. I don't how it is in Europe, but in the US it costs about $100 extra. If you pin down exact dates, PM me and I'll try and point you in the right direction for lodging.

march3rd to 8th would be my only possibility. so, no more comps

and if we decide it, I'll definitely pm you.

the storm cycle looks quite cool. I look forward to your pictures
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Was in Krasnaya Polyana (The Red Valley) last winter and the place was a mess. With all the work for the upcoming olympics the valley was one big construction zone which really killed the vibe.

That being said the terrain is unreal. Personally I would wait till 2016, the year after the olympics. By then they will have rooms for dirt cheap and a train to take you down to sochi.