Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

"widest" fonts in Word?

So I am writing this ridiculous apology letter for the court because of my idiot offense you all know about.

Its hard, even with an insane amount of BS, to type a 3 page single-spaced letter about moving a sign.

I know the period trick, but there is not specific font requirement, so which one is the "widest" aka will make my letter seem longer?

They really require a 3 page SINGLE SPACED letter? That seems ridiculous

My advice is not to fuck around with the font, be forthright, and give them a good faith effort.

Its not like they are going to throw you in jail for coming up short.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    They really require a 3 page SINGLE SPACED letter? That seems ridiculous

My advice is not to fuck around with the font, be forthright, and give them a good faith effort.

Its not like they are going to throw you in jail for coming up short.
    Thats what I am saying. 3 pages double spaced is totally reasonable, but single spaced is fucking retarded. I am at 2 pages and really can't think of any other possible ways to further BS this thing.

edit: well the city attorney said single spaced when I asked her, but the official paper work she gave me just says, "Letter of apology/reflection (3 pg.)"

WWCD is online now Non Threating Male Friend
    What is the period trick?

I'm curious too . If you are talking about moving a period over one space , that looks too weird and obvious . Also, not that much to gain doing it, is there ?

(1) If you choose a font other than Times New Roman or something similar, they will notice the absurdity of your failed attempt at trying to cut the corners of acknowledging your fuck-up (as if dodging community service wasn't enough).

(2) Increase margins to 1.25-1.5" on top/bottom/left/right.

(3) Courier.

Quote Originally Posted by WWCD View Post
    When you have finished writing your paper:

edit > replace > in the first field type a period (assuming your paper is in 12pt font), in the second field type another period > highlight the period you just typed > at the bottom of that window click "format" and select size 14 font.

Size 12 and size 14 fonts have the same size period, just a little more space around the period in size 14.

Some fonts it fucks up the line spacing, but with a little fooling around you can make it completely impossible to notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Pappagiorgio View Post
    (1) If you choose a font other than Times New Roman or something similar, they will notice the absurdity of your failed attempt at trying to cut the corners of acknowledging your fuck-up (as if dodging community service wasn't enough).

(3) Courier.
    I only have 4 hours left to do tomorrow morning.

Yeah, I am using Courier, and its already 2.5 pages w/o the period trick or margins fucked with.

Quote Originally Posted by WWCD View Post
    Der poopenhausen.

Now I remember why that one's been retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    Der poopenhausen.

HAAHAAHAHA!

I bet if you copy all your posts regarding this offense and stick them in the paper unedited, you could get 3 pages.

Quote Originally Posted by squatch View Post
    I bet if you copy all your posts regarding this offense and stick them in the paper unedited, you could get 3 pages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Why fuck around w/ the period "trick?" Just change the line spacing to 1.15 or something.

Seriously, though, you can't come up with a half page of how you're going to live the rest of your life in a law-abiding manner?

I've been skiing too much.

What the hell did you do?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

if you have 2.5 pgs without upping period size yet, I would say finish up and call it good.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Pappagiorgio View Post

(3) Courier.
    yup, courier. its pretty obvious when you increase the margins on the top and especially on the left. but the bottom is legit and the right no one will ever notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    Der poopenhausen.

Solid effort, though. That's the first time it's made me laugh since about a week after it was invented.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Seriously, just make another half page about your goals in life, career, skiing, whatever, and how you couldn't do them if you're in jail.

Or just go off on a tangent about your uncle larry who went from stealing traffic signs to meth to rehab to pyramid schemes to scientology, and how you don't want to end up like him.

Quote Originally Posted by MOHSHSIHd View Post

edit: well the city attorney said single spaced when I asked her, but the official paper work she gave me just says, "Letter of apology/reflection (3 pg.)"
    You answered your own question. The attorney only "SAID" single spaced, and the official paperwork states,"Letter of apology/reflection (3 pg.) Who gives a fuck what she "SAID" only what is written and signed into agreement. Disregard if she is hot, do what she says and ask her out.

Anything over 2 pages is technically 3 right, it requires 3 pages to print out so I would say you are good to go

Word Perfect has a "make it fit" command that you can specify the length you want it to be. Nice quick and dirty way to either shorten or lengthen anything you have to a specific number of pages. They play with fonts, spacing and formatting to get you to the goals.

So you could use a fixed width font- each letter takes up roughly the same amount of space. Any font with the medium or bold will usually be bigger in spacing width than a standard or condensed font. Plus if you have a printer that supports postscript they can do things like 14.5 point font, or 13.8 point and not be quite as obvious. As others have stated make the line spacing 1.2 or 1.3 and it will not be double spaced but gain you some extra space between the lines. Header and footers too can help- place the page numbers, date etc. and maybe a title letter of apology on each page. Then at the end a signature with a big John Handcock spacing for you to sign should be worth a 1/4 page.

Does someone will actualy read your letter ?
    What a shitty job...
    And yes, courier.
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

You can increase the spacing in between the letters as well. I think its Format>Font>Character spacing. put it on expanded just a little above normal.
    Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.

Dude- COURRIER NEW.
    it's the widest font that i've ever used and N.J. Courts require it so it's not like totally bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by gg8983 View Post
    You can increase the spacing in between the letters as well. I think its Format>Font>Character spacing. put it on expanded just a little above normal.

bingo. 2 words: intercharacter spacing!!! Discovered this for ENG131 at my Uberversity a few years back...