Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Next question: Which online photo storage service do you recommend?

I generally don't post photos because I hate trying to upload photos from my computer to TGR's site. Not to mention the resulting thumbnails are less pleasing to the eye.

I'd like to start uploading my photos to one of the photo storage sites, but don't know which one to use. It's not critical and I won't use it often, but having the option of ordering prints might be a plus.

What's your recommendation?
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

I use - http://photobucket.com/ - works really well for me. Although others seem to complain about it.
    Have fun or get hurt bad. "MFT" A.K.A. Dr. Doom

There are but three true sports--bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. "Ernest Hemingway"

Flickr is free and easy.

I am partial to Smugmug. It is money well spent, and you can store high res images there too.

$58 or so per year.

The three mentioned all work well. Currently most of my family albums are on Flickr because you get a free account with att dsl. Another nice feature is that you can setup a joint upload area for you and your friends to post to. For example you go to a wedding or a ski day with friends with multiple cameras. Everyone can load pics to the same area so that pics from all cameras can be viewed in one location by everyone that was there

I still have a pro account with photobucket and do most of my TGR pics there. They were the only one (at least when I signed up) that allowed you to host video too. One thing that is nice about photobucket is you can easily preset image upload size so when posting pics you are going to only use on TGR, you can upload them in a display size and not have to worry about resizing them on your pc first.
    "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will..."

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    I am partial to Smugmug. It is money well spent, and you can store high res images there too.

$58 or so per year.
    I also use smugmug and like it. shirk.smugmug.com

If you end up deciding on smugmug drop me a pm and I think I can save you a couple bucks with a referral thingy.

I use photobucket for hosting pix to post on the web. 800x600 max, but that's plenty for embedding.

If I want to share a high-rez pic I'll just e-mail it or use a service like www.yousendit.com

I have been using pbase.com for several years now and am very happy with them. There is no limit to the size/resolution of the files I can upload and there is a lot of customization I can do to the look of the galleries. Pbase charges for storage with unlimited bandwidth(amount of data downloaded by viewers). If I remember right smugmug has unlimited storage and charges by bandwidth.
    it's all young and fun and skiing and then one day you login and it's relationship advice, gomer glacier tours and geezers.

-Hugh Conway

imageshack. it's basic but free if you upload one at a time. a penny a pic for batch uploading. generates code for forums and blogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    I have been using pbase.com for several years now and am very happy with them. There is no limit to the size/resolution of the files I can upload and there is a lot of customization I can do to the look of the galleries. Pbase charges for storage with unlimited bandwidth(amount of data downloaded by viewers). If I remember right smugmug has unlimited storage and charges by bandwidth.
    Ditto pbase.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Flicr is the best
    Skiing rules when you are the best one on the mountain
    That's more like every day

I started uploading to Flickr, but it's not easy to see a lot of photos at once, and it's not free if you want to have any organization whatsoever (they allow you three folders for free, then you have to pay if you want more). I'm in the same spot (limbo)... not sure what I should use.

Anyone use Snapfish? I'd like to both have an artistic site to host my photos, but also a place where friends can go to order prints from photos I took on trips or at parties.
    A fucking show dog with fucking papers

IMHO Snapfish is a spammy POS and they don't let you hotlink to the files (AFAIK.) If you're posting to the web 90% of the time 800x600 file sizes are enough.... use www.photobucket.com

People like to use www.smugmug.com and zenfolio.com on a lot of photo forums.

Might I suggest Picasaweb from Google? They do limit your storage, but you can just create multiple sequential Gmail accounts and register them fo Picasa. That might be a huge PITA, but they do allow full size uploads and downloads.

Bump...

I've read this thread, also did some research on my own.

Looking for a site to host my pictures and also link up to. A major undertaking, I'm looking to eventually scan the family albums (from my late mom) as well as my own pics.

Major plus on a site would be:

- Free
    - Privacy issues
    - Storage
    - Able to Watermark them (bonus). I believe that you can do this with Jalbum.

I remember liking what I read on Smugmug also. The site doesn't have to be Free, but if I can have all the above points, it would be a bonus.

I remember reading this thread maybe 6 months ago. I realized no one has posted in it in over 3 years. Are the comments posted above still relevant?
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
    http://madpatski.wordpress.com

I'm partial to Flickr. $20 a year for a pro account with no limits and it integrates really really nicely with Lightroom which is a big plus for me.

Photobucket.com has been the easiest and most seamless hosting site I've found that pretty much downloads to just about any site I use.
    "You damn colonials and your herds of tax write off dressage ponies". PNWBrit

+1 picasaweb, it's really easy to use picasa for basic editing and uploading is a cinch. I paid $5 for an extra 20GB of storage for the year.

Thanks guys. I'll try to actual spend a bit of time checking them out this weekend if I'm not skiing.
    Ski Mad World

Get a smugmug account.

I've been busy playing around setting new trial or test versions.

Played around with Flickr, photobucket, picasa...only two are remaining: Jalbum and Smugmug.

The first cheapest Jalbum is about half price than the basic Smugmug. I need to figure out a few more things before making my final choice. A bummer that the custom batch watermarks are only on the Pro version of Smugmug. That would have sealed the deal. I think that you can also watermark with Jalbum, however I haven't manage to do it yet (like a few other things).
    Ski Mad World

After looking at a few, I went with Flickr.

Google "Flickr stolen images"....
    This is the worst pain EVER!

So whats the best other than Flickr Lonnie?