Figuring out Ramp/Cant/Forward Lean on your set up

From what I've heard, all bindings are a bit differnet. Some have more forward lean (ramp?) , while others have less for switch landings. And boots are that way too?Depending on the model of boot, as well as whether you had the shop modify it in any way.
    I'm on some Tecnica Icons right now, with older Look pivot 10 bindings. Never did anything to the boots, they felt fine so I just bought them and left. Should I get them modified in a certain way?
    Do different skis need different ramp? i.e. stiff fatties like more, parky jibbing skis like less?

I'd say its all personal preference and that personal preference may be pre-disposed based on anatomical factors. A very reputable bootfitter could probably take a stab at whats best, but I say trial and error is pretty good too.

^^ I agree, seems to be a matter of preference.

I am on my way down to the bootfitter now, because changing from solly boots + binders to dalbello and p18:s has given me a more upright stance which i don't like.

Since there is less forward lean in this setup, I am unable to get that low stance or position to absorb all shocks, while being able to easily load up the tip of the skis.

The more upright angle the boot+binders setup has created, forces me into the backseat if i try to bend my knees and go for that low aggressive stance.

Most (if not, all) alpine boots and bindings have ramp angle. AT boots and bindings are flat (for the most part).
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

I believe the term "delta" should be thrown in there somewhere, but I don't read Epic enough to know where it goes.

With the exception of true pivot heels, look seems to have a decent amount of ramp, while solomon 9xx series seems fairly flat, along with marker.

Lange boots have a lot of forward lean, as do tecnica. Nordica hotrods are fairly upright, Solomon falcon's seems to be in the middle.

Those are some things that I've noticed. Could be right, could be wrong.

Thanks for the info, reliable or not it puts my mind a bit more at ease.
    How do bootfitters change the forward ramp on your boots? Do they put in different foot beds or grind away on the boot shell sole?

They grind the bootboard. It's under your liner in your shell.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Ramp = the angle that the foots is on (both bindings and boots have this) in relationship to the ski (high heels). Delta is the bindings ramp angle (I think)

upper cuff alignment = the angle that the upper cuff is tilted to one side (not forward and back)

canting = the angle, side to side, that the whole boot is moved to. This can be done under the boot, or under the bindings.

Forward Lean = the angle that your shin (tibia and fibia) is at in relationship to the foot

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=58063

CANT (1)The angle of boot bottom with ski viewed from the front. (2) The lateral angle of the boot in relation to the ski; often confused with cuff-alignment (the adjustment of cuff angle). Boots can be canted inward or outward, usually by grinding the sole at an angle, to give a skier better access to all four ski edges.

RAMP The angle (when viewed from the side) of the foot inside the boot. The angle created by a line connecting the bottom of the ball-of-the-foot and the bottom of the heel with a horizontal line. Positive is when the heel is higher than the ball and negative is with the heel lower than the ball.

SHAFT ALIGNMENT The lateral orientation of the cuff in relation to the lower shell; usually adjustable on at least one side of the cuff, so that the cuff can be angled to match the angle of the skier’s lower leg when standing.

^^^^

heh heh

he said shaft

heh heh

that was cool
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=58063

CANT (1)The angle of boot bottom with ski viewed from the front. (2) The lateral angle of the boot in relation to the ski; often confused with cuff-alignment (the adjustment of cuff angle). Boots can be canted inward or outward, usually by grinding the sole at an angle, to give a skier better access to all four ski edges.

RAMP The angle (when viewed from the side) of the foot inside the boot. The angle created by a line connecting the bottom of the ball-of-the-foot and the bottom of the heel with a horizontal line. Positive is when the heel is higher than the ball and negative is with the heel lower than the ball.

SHAFT ALIGNMENT The lateral orientation of the cuff in relation to the lower shell; usually adjustable on at least one side of the cuff, so that the cuff can be angled to match the angle of the skier’s lower leg when standing.
    Nice post, very helpful.Seems like if you have a normal foot, you wouldn't require changes in your cant or shaft alignment, and ramp and forward lean is all personal preference.
    Is there a preference that big mountain skiers have in terms of ramp/forward lean as opposed to park skiers? I'd say you'd want a flat ramp and a relatively upright forward lean for landing switch, but if you ski aggressive all mountain, you would want a little more ramp/forward lean to help you stay forward on your skis?
    Interesting stuff, would like to try some different configs but doesnt seem like something you just do for the hell of it...