Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    I´ve only skied the 186, but judging from visual impression, both the 193 and the 179 have the same rocker profile as the 186.
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

this ski rules. rode mine ( 186's w/ soly 977's 1 mm behind center line me: 170 5'10") for 2nd day on 12" of heavy spring pow @ the bird friday.
    everything that has been said above about this ski is true, you can slarve like the biggest powslut or pull tight technical maneuvers , it doesn't seem to matter on this ski it takes it all and performs.

How are these off of hucks/ in tight trees....love what everyone has said so far

sorry for dredging up an old thread

don't ever be sorry for drudging up an old thread. whenever in doubt, never start a new thread without first using the search function to add to an existing thread.

i like the 186s in tight trees and landings are stable. tips don't dive, so you don't go over the handle bars.
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

sick. ill add these to my list:

186 4frnt EHP
    185 Dynastar huge trouble- 115 radius 33 m
    182 Line Sir Francis Bacon – 115 radius 18 m
    186 Moment Bibby Pro – 115 radius 22m
    Lengths seem to be mysterious - - Armada JJ 115 radius --- ???
    181 Atomic Thug 120mm radius 37m
    188 Rossi S7 155 underfoot (according to skipass.com radius 18m)

you like?

now how the fuck do i pick one

Armada JJ's, 188 and 178, but the 188 supposedly measures, 185.
    I've decided on JJ's as my pow ski for the coming season.

Your list is very similar to mine, but i ditched the Bacons because there too soft and the Thugs i just dont dig.
    I ski therefore I am.

no need to pick any other than the 4frnt 186. I have had gotamas, rossi b3(b4 now), b100, & the EHP is the best ski I have ever skied. I skied my EHP everyday last year. They are so much fun, & effortless to ski. You will be able to ski longer without getting tired, & they make tracked snow & trees fun. I will be adding some pRaxis powders for this year, but they will be only for real deep days. hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by ARpowhound View Post
    no need to pick any other than the 4frnt 186. I have had gotamas, rossi b3(b4 now), b100, & the EHP is the best ski I have ever skied. I skied my EHP everyday last year. They are so much fun, & effortless to ski. You will be able to ski longer without getting tired, & they make tracked snow & trees fun. I will be adding some pRaxis powders for this year, but they will be only for real deep days. hope this helps
    its so friggen tough to choose one.

thugs I can find for 450
    4frnt ehp 479
    Armada JJ- fairly high priced I imagine, brand new ski....probably 600-700
    bibby pro -550

how the fuck do all of you pick one, and yes i can only afford one, and with the bridges in my bank, i really dont need to worry about versatility, thread hijack....what did poster two posts up not dig about thugs....for some reason that is my good feeling of the night, but that changes on a regular basis,

the bibby pro gets me psyched cus its a little different, something new to try

armada jj gets me psyched because its a smaller arg and theres been nothing but dope talk about those

the ehp everyone has raived about

the thug ive read dope stuff about

fuckin eh.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    4frnt ehp 479
    Don't mistake the 190s out there now for the 186, different ski altogether.

def will not....i ve read about how each of the sizes in this skis takes a different approach...as some others have said....three different skis under one name....

within reason--its not the money anymore, its just pulling the trigger on one of them....moment, atomic, armada, 4frnt. i wish i had the patience to wait and demo but i am just too add'dd out.

I skied the new JJ at a demo day, I did not like it as well as the EHP. Go with EHP 186

Quote Originally Posted by ARpowhound View Post
    I skied the new JJ at a demo day, I did not like it as well as the EHP. Go with EHP 186
    How deep did you have these in...theyre 113....I need this pow ski to last a few seasons, i know everyone likes to stock up their quivers with 3,4,5, 10 skis, but I simply dont have that kind of loot....did they leave you wanting more underfoot?

I love my EHP 186's. If you can get them for 479 that is a pretty nice deal.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Anyone know of places with any 07-08 186's left? I can only find the 190/193.

Cheers

Oh for the love of...

the 07/08 186s have been sold out since mid season!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I know, I think you told me that months ago, was hoping somehow somewhere some store had a pair left on close out prices. A man can dream. Guess it's 08-09 or bust.

how might the ehp compare to the Sir Francis Bacons? I own the Bacons and for me(5'11'' 135#) i can really eat the crud in these and ski the pow/trees just fine. though they dont have a rocker tip or tail and have a slightly larger camber (i think). line early rise is complete bull shit though... cause the rocker on the ehp is WAY larger than the bacons.

this thread make me want to buy...i mean demo these skis

Quote Originally Posted by Zeppelinskier View Post
    how might the ehp compare to the Sir Francis Bacons? I own the Bacons and for me(5'11'' 135#) i can really eat the crud in these and ski the pow/trees just fine. though they dont have a rocker tip or tail and have a slightly larger camber (i think). line early rise is complete bull shit though... cause the rocker on the ehp is WAY larger than the bacons.

this thread make me want to buy...i mean demo these skis
    bacons are super noodly (i briefly owned a pair of 08's) and will be effectively decambered at all times in pow. they are NOT crud-busters in ANY sense, so if you like them in the chop, then just stick with them. if you got on a TRUE crud-buster, it would probably take you for a complete ride

I haven't skied the Bacons/Lizzies but I've fondled them a few times. While the EHP is not world cup stiff it is stiff for a pow ski, waaaay stiffer than the Bacon/Lizzie, like not even comparable. How much do you weigh? Definitely demo them if you can.

yeah i am light 135 or so and they work well in the crud for me. i do think that the ehp's would be more of a better all around ski, though i would have to ski them.

they have them at kirkwood so i will demo them the next pow day

i think the bacons are great, they do snag sometimes but that might be because of the mount(center) and their construction. they work for me as a good all around ski.

i sold my bacons and bought ehp 86s and have never looked back. i like the flex, length, and rocker of the ehp much more.

the bacons are not a center mounted ski. did you mount yours center?
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

Quote Originally Posted by Zeppelinskier View Post
    i think the bacons are great, they do snag sometimes but that might be because of the mount(center) and their construction.
    i experienced this as well (and it was reported by others in the reviews that i read here on tgr). i checked the base-edge bevel, and the factory tune was the problem. throughout most of the midsection, the base-edge bevel is about 1*, just as it should be. but towards the tip and tail it was significantly <1*, hence the grabbing and hooking.

i think the only way the ehp's are better than the bacons would be their flex and crud skiing ability.
    though sense i am light weight i dont really need a stiffer ski the bacons do just fine in pow and crud, they are a
    medium flex for me while skiing. i would get the ehps for my next mid flex ski, but i like having camber
    on a ski for it to be an "all mountain" ski, but thats just me.

oh yeah, i ski my skis they dont ski me...

For those wondering, I have the 193s and the 186s (present to my Pops)

I gotta say, the early rose tip/tail profile is not the same as the 186s. There is less tail rocker and slightly less tip rocker. My initial impression is that I'd like to see more rocker on the 193 but after skiing the 93 I'm not so sure.

I'd bet a bit more early rise would *maybe* help the 193 in slarving turns but the shape felt soooo good I'm not sure that adding rocker would really do much.

Everyone is so obsessed with rocker nowadays (myself included) that we forget to really pay attention to the actual sidecut/shape of the ski...and I'm starting to think that is what makes this ski so great. Subtle changes in the shape can make a huge difference!