WTB: A Good Digital Camera

I want to get a good digital camera for skiing. I want around 10megapixel with quality zoom and a few frames per second for action shots. I have been searching a few threads for beta, but have mostly found info on 35mm. I'm looking to spend around 1,500 and would like to get an 1 or 2 extra lenses. thanks for the help.

because you posted in the right forum let me try to give an answer.

- DSLR or point and shoot?

If point and shoot then the closest you will get to that is the Canon G9.

Since you said you wanted 1 or 2 extra lenses, i would recommend getting a used canon 20d for ~$500, new 70-200 f/4 for ~$560 and a new tamron 17-50 f/2.8 for ~$450.

I have that setup, except my 70-200 is the 2.8 and i also have a 50/1.4, and I am very happy with it. The f/4 obviously isn't as fast and will therefore yield worse results in some conditions, but for $1500 you can't really beat that combination.

I agree with smalls, the 20d would be a good choice.

thanks. been researching....going with a 30D and hopefully a 28-100ish at f2.8 ....but the good lenses are pricey.

if anyone has any of this gear for sale, i have cash and want to buy ASAP.

I'll sell you my D200 for $880. You could then buy a 18-200 Vr and have a nice set up for your required price.

what does this include? lense? if so what type? memory card? how old is it? and why do u want to sell it? thanks for the offer

Quote Originally Posted by Shepherd Wong View Post
    I'll sell you my D200 for $880. You could then buy a 18-200 Vr and have a nice set up for your required price.
    You should snag this one and the recommended 18-200. That's all you need for skiing...the D200 is an excellent ski cam.

You can compare side-by-side specs (D200/5D/20D) here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond200/page25.asp

Example D200 pic from last year:

-Astro
    Last edited by AstroPax; 01-02-2008 at 11:51 PM.
    I got a Nikon camera...I love to take a photograph...So Mama, don't take my Kodachrome away

Quote Originally Posted by Bob O View Post
    what does this include? lense? if so what type? memory card? how old is it? and why do u want to sell it? thanks for the offer
    Just the body and all the other associated stuff, no lens. It is 9 months old and has about 5000 shutter actuations. The reason I'm selling it is I got a new D300 a few weeks ago.

thanks for the offer, but prices have come down and i can get a new one for less. i would go for it if you threw in a decent lense. let me know if you change your mind. thanks for the offer

Hugh Conway Guest
    Bullshit. Where can you get a new D200 for $900? 49th St bait n switch?

He's cutting you a good deal tightwad.

One thing to think about is that the glass (lens) is far more important than the body. You buy bodies and invest in glass. Pick a system (Canon or Nikon) and stick with it. You'll touch off a massive debate between the two but the reality is they are both great.

I'm finding I rarely need anything more than 105mm as I like to get a good deal of scene in a shot. Close ups are cool but lack the perspective that makes an image interesting. Look through mags and see what images really strike you. Almost all have a good deal of real estate around the rider. Unless you're hundreds of feet away anything more than 100mm is overkill and heavy to carry. Also, F/4 glass is plenty fast as you'll really want to be stopped down to get a larger DOF and most shooting will be done on sunny days so f/2.8 is really not needed. My shots from Boss Hog yesterday were with a Canon 24-105 f/4L IS shot at f/8, ISO 320.

i can get a new one for less.
    From where?

You're clueless if you think you can get a D200 AND a "decent" Nikkor lens for that price.
    Last edited by AstroPax; 01-03-2008 at 08:35 AM.
    I got a Nikon camera...I love to take a photograph...So Mama, don't take my Kodachrome away

Yeah it's about $50 or so cheaper than similar use cameras are going for in other forums. It's available for anyone with slow shipping included. I'll take some photos of it and make a thread later today.

i have seen several places online for a d200 body less than 880. shepard is not including a lens, so i'm not being a tightwad or a jerk for stating some simple facts. i did a little research and that is what I found.

Beware then. You really haven't done your research if you're finding a new D200 body only for less than about $1300.
    I suggest looking here to do some additional research.
    Last edited by Shepherd Wong; 01-03-2008 at 01:38 PM.

Hugh Conway Guest
    i have seen several places online for a d200 body less than 880. shepard is not including a lens, so i'm not being a tightwad or a jerk for stating some simple facts. i did a little research and that is what I found.
    Here it is for $630 - buy it now! http://www.bestpricecameras.com/prod...?prodid=902390 Except they'll never, ever ship it to you for that price.

If you want to buy a camera new, look at bhphoto.com If you want buy one used look at KEH.com If you go to other sources you might save 10% if you find a good deal. You aren't going to magically find a new camera for 1/2 price.

There are like 2 reputable camera sellers online. Like SW said check reseller ratings before getting even the smallest bit excited about a sweet camera deal. It's either grey market (no us warranty) or it's the "this camera doesn't come with a battery, would you like one (for $400 or some ridiculous price) to go with it". B&H is one of two places I would buy a camera online, the other being Samy's only because I can drive there and raise hell if i get ripped.

thanks for the info guys. i can't believe there are so many of these sketchy camera places online.

shepard,
    do you have a lens for sale?

thanks for the info guys. i can't believe there are so many of these sketchy camera places online.

shepard,
    do you have a lens for sale?
    Believe it, and try not to accuse us of the same shenanigans. Cause that is what you did, whether you meant to or not. I'll assume you didn't mean to be a big fat rubber dick.

Those cheaper prices are great, except when you are forced to buy a $300 battery and a $250 CF Card just to make the camera functional. That is, if they will ship it to you at all. Ritz camera has some of the best prices out there, and they are in every mall in america. Don't believe everything on the internets.

I have the D200 with the 18-200 lens. You should be able to pick up the lens new for $750, so that puts you pretty close to your $1500.

If you want another lens, look at a 1.8 50mm- they go for about $100. It is good for low light. The 1.4 is better, but at about $400 it is not that good. The 50 is my least used lens, though. But, for the price, it is a good one to have.

The 2 best lenses I have in my bag are the 18-200 VR, and my Sigma 10-20(about $400, and totally worth it). My other lens is an 80-200 2.8 that I am going to upgrade at some point to the 70-200 2.8 VR ($$$$). Like Truth(30d) said, invest in the glass.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Believe it, and try not to accuse us of the same shenanigans. Cause that is what you did, whether you meant to or not. I'll assume you didn't mean to be a big fat rubber dick.

Those cheaper prices are great, except when you are forced to buy a $300 battery and a $250 CF Card just to make the camera functional. That is, if they will ship it to you at all. Ritz camera has some of the best prices out there, and they are in every mall in america. Don't believe everything on the internets.

I have the D200 with the 18-200 lens. You should be able to pick up the lens new for $750, so that puts you pretty close to your $1500.

If you want another lens, look at a 1.8 50mm- they go for about $100. It is good for low light. The 1.4 is better, but at about $400 it is not that good. The 50 is my least used lens, though. But, for the price, it is a good one to have.

The 2 best lenses I have in my bag are the 18-200 VR, and my Sigma 10-20(about $400, and totally worth it). My other lens is an 80-200 2.8 that I am going to upgrade at some point to the 70-200 2.8 VR ($$$$). Like Truth(30d) said, invest in the glass.

Good luck.
    Nicely put!

Thanks for the sound advice earlier warthog...online photag shops can be very untrustworthy!

mags=trustworthy

i didn't think I accused anyone of anything. I am a newbie to photography and wasn't aware of all the scams online from what seemed to be reputable camera etailers. thanks for letting me know. it's a shame that all these places remain in business.

Yeah, if it seems too good to be true it is. They let you buy something for cheap but then say they don't have it and you have to upgrade for more money or you have to buy a ton of accessories for ridiculous prices. Or they'll say it's the Chinese plastic version and the American version is more money. I was reading about all these different methods on a photo site I was looking through. I've bought from B&H and Amazon with no problems.

just man up and buy a D40 with the kit lens then buy a 70-200 F4 $1700 for a pretty sick setup
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care