Review: Moment Melees--Hell Yah!

Me: 5'11" 185lbs on tele's

Ski: Moment Melee

Other Skis I Like: Sickbirds 185, Verdicts 190, Gotoma 185 (I think, I only got out one day on these but they were fun)

Conditions: 6-8" of fresh, warming a lot throughout the day. Ending in moguls and icy scrape.

Wow... These are my first reverse camber and I was worried. Nothing to be worried about though. These were able to handle anything, maybe with a little more work than needed but they never scared me. An absolute dream in the fresh they like to lay it down in med long radius turns and are poppy as all hell. I'd say I spent a third of all my runs in the air just popping from pile to pile. SUper fun and light for there size. But they still put down a carve. My buddy was following me on the groomer on the way out and was impressed by the obvious carve track I left. He was pretty skeptical and thought I would be skidding anytime I wasn't in powder. It is true that you do have to stay on top of them, at least not get too far in the back seat. My one beater of the day was a tail washout. Anyways, I'm stoked. They are way more versitile than I thought they were going to be and are gonna be fun on this little mountain. They also really liked speed and felt completely stable. When it got hard an icey I got a little bit of chatter, but it was only coming from the RC part of the tip that wasn't really engaged.

Props to the guys at moment. I had a little extra gear budget and made the leap with there help and advice. I couldn't be happier and I can't wait for more snow

Edit: Just want to add an update. These things rip. After a weekend of snow on more snow here in the boat I'm totally in love. Fast or slow, big turns or little I'm hooked. Even when I get to the groomers I have fun back to the lift. They destroy crud piles like they weren't there.
    Last edited by Tele'ndaboat; 12-26-2007 at 02:38 PM.

How stiff would you stay they are?
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

Kind of medium soft. They aren't as stiff as my sick birds but way stiffer than my districts...

How are these holding up?

Pics?

So,
    These have had a rough year and look kind of worse for it. But, I'm still loving them. Some pretty major top sheet damage on the edges and the fiberglass is starting to show. I've put one huge core shot on the edge, about 2"x1". The edge stayed in place though and the sidewall was untouched. Also ripped out my binding at Alta(O2's so they kind of have the rep for doing that.) Shop threw in inserts and remounted.

I've found I love them the most in trees and low angle pow. They make 2" feel like 8, and handle any kind of turn you want. Not being a flippy spinny skier, I'm probably not using them to thier potential, but when I have had them in the air they are fun. Landing has to be centered though. They are soooo light for thier size. When it gets steep you have to stay very centered, no room to get in the back seat. With the reverse camber there isn't much there to make up for your mistakes.

These have been a blast. They also rail on soft chopped up pow and GS turns on soft groomers rock, making the way out on pow days damn fun. I don't regret buying these at all, and they are great skis for the Boat, rockin' the tight trees. Thanks Moment.

I Need to throw some telemark binding on my melee...And I was wondering if you have some numbers for me, or any suggestions on mounting position?

plan is to use them as an all-mountain-touring-ski.

thanks.