Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Nice work anonymous ripper! I delammed and broke a ski through the core, under the toepiece of my TLTs. The bindings didn`t even budge and are now on another pair.

Megaride with Raichle tongues, 193 DB Surreals with TLTs. The lightest/biggest ski I've toured and skied on. The pair with bindings weighs less than one of my 184 Mantras with Naxos. Too bad DB went under their skis are amazing. Don't know about durability yet but it had better be good because these skis rip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

I do.

Or at least I think I do...

179 Bros (stiff)
    Comforts
    27 Aero FR

Liners cooked yesterday, maiden voyage tomorrow morning. Look for the complete report soon...
    To have a great adventure and survive requires good judgment. Good judgment comes from experience. And experience, of course, is the result of poor judgment. -Geoff Tabin

Way to complete the setup, APH! Give us a full report.

I've been rocking the SVs w/ Dynafits every day for about a month now. Love 'em!

Yer killin me...that's my exact setup, except I don't have my Bros in hand yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlaskan
    Yer killin me...that's my exact setup, except I don't have my Bros in hand yet.
    Noice!

Make sure to confirm with Splat on the new mounting point (993mm from tip, no bend in tape) and you'll be psyched!
    To have a great adventure and survive requires good judgment. Good judgment comes from experience. And experience, of course, is the result of poor judgment. -Geoff Tabin

aph,

So how'd they do? I like that setup. Any idea on total weight?

Review on the skis is here, along with a lot of other good reviews and the official BRO model topsheet discussion:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=48992

As for the rest of the setup: I love it. The boots (Dynafit Aero FR's) are surpisingly comprable to my alpine boots, without any adjustments. Granted, my langes are 10 years old and pretty blown out, but the Aero's have a real solid feel to them, and come just as high, so no "mountaineering boot" feel on the downhill. They are heavy (haven't weighed them, but will), nearly as heavy as my alpine boots, but that's more than made up for by the skis. Super light, and with the dynafits weight 1/2 as much as my Gotamas. I really don't notice them on my backpack at all...pretty cool for a fat ski.

S1CD, I get back to you all on the weight, I'm curious myself...

Edit to add: oh, and the binders rule. First run out on them, skiing an unfamiliar line, I ended up having to drop an 8 footer. Without even being in 'locked' mode, they stuck on no problem. They really do feel solid, frankly way more solid than my old freerides: no lateral wobble. Also, I should mention that the dynafit boots have a nice grove in the toe holes that makes it really easy to step in; I seem to have less trouble than my friends on garmonts.
    Last edited by alpinepronghorn; 03-17-2006 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau
    I thought I'd post this article from Lou Dawson on retrofitting your standard AT boots with the Dynafit fitting.

http://www.wildsnow.com/articles/den..._retrofit.html

I've got my hands on an old Scarpa Laser shell and will give it a shot and post some pics - hopefully with success.
    Lou Dawson has too much time on his hands...the Iranians should hire HIM for their WMD program...

Quote Originally Posted by pde20
    Also, on a related note, with the help of Larry the bootfitter in Boulder, my frankensteined Megarides are stellar. Larry hooked up the liner and added a Raichele tongue, i patched on a spoiler from a pair of Salomons to adde height and stiffness at the calf, and added a booster strap. The result is more comfy and skis better than my old Denalis by a long shot. Still a touring boot with some softness, but felt great overall.
    Bumping this old mother to add pics that I had taken but never put up...buying season is upon us and there are tons 'o maggots looking into dynafit compatbility, so might as well share the knowledge.

I'm thinking about adding intuition or other beefier liners this fall. Can't emphasize how much the SPOILER makes a difference. Everyone focuses on the tongue and the liner, but in terms of bang for the buck improvement, I'd say using the spoiler from a stiffer boot is vastly under rated.

Quote Originally Posted by pde20
    I'm thinking about adding intuition or other beefier liners this fall. Can't emphasize how much the SPOILER makes a difference. Everyone focuses on the tongue and the liner, but in terms of bang for the buck improvement, I'd say using the spoiler from a stiffer boot is vastly under rated.

How does the spoiler help? It doesn't seem like that part of the boot gets flexed very much unless you are in the back seat.

Tough day for pde on the board. Its bad enough you got piled up on for surfing sick shit on the internet. Now you get accused of skiing in the backseat! time for a drink, my man.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch
    How does the spoiler help? It doesn't seem like that part of the boot gets flexed very much unless you are in the back seat.
    I'm sure some of the bootfitter types will jump all over me, but I'm of the opinion that it helps because it puts a stiffer wedge behind your calf putting you slightly more forward (good in AT boots which are by default more neutral in their stance/ramp angle to accomodate walking), increases the effective height of the boot, and stiffens up the rear of the boot all of which are helpful in creating a more "alpine" feel which is what I am after. According to some boot fitters, the spoiler also contributes to maintaining good heel contact with the sole of the boot.
    Last edited by pde20; 09-14-2006 at 08:54 AM.

I'm +1 for the spoiler.

I have some thicker ones on my old Denalis, it definitely helps keep me out of the backseat in the first place.
    Thrutchworthy Production Services

Quote Originally Posted by alpinepronghorn
    Edit to add: oh, and the binders rule. First run out on them, skiing an unfamiliar line, I ended up having to drop an 8 footer. Without even being in 'locked' mode, they stuck on no problem. They really do feel solid, frankly way more solid than my old freerides: no lateral wobble. Also, I should mention that the dynafit boots have a nice grove in the toe holes that makes it really easy to step in; I seem to have less trouble than my friends on garmonts.

similar situation for me, only i had my vertical din all the way down at 5. they worked out just fine and have ever since. i'm a believer.

great post, super informative (as i am looking into a dynafit set-up this winter) - thx!

pde20 - what strength booster strap is that, and how do you like them? They look pretty bulky - is that an annoyance while touring?

Quote Originally Posted by Sphinx
    pde20 - what strength booster strap is that, and how do you like them? They look pretty bulky - is that an annoyance while touring?
    I don't know what strength it is...I bought it a few years ago for my old Denalis and as far as I can recall it was the only one on offer at surefoot in park city at the time. It adds weight no doubt, but is worth every ounce. That metal buckle looks bulky but has never been a probelm with pant cuffs or anything. That fucking rat tail of webbing, however, sucks. I keep it because i need a nice tail to yank on when I tighten the strap down, but there could be a cleaner solution I'm sure.

If you don't mind me asking, how much does a setup like that end up costing after the customizing?

I'd really like to get a good AT setup this year. Something I can hike AND ski aggressively in and it looks like you've accomplished exactly that.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

Quote Originally Posted by AltaPowderDaze
    similar situation for me, only i had my vertical din all the way down at 5. they worked out just fine and have ever since. i'm a believer.
    it's about form (which you and apd have, apparently). land on your skis (e.g., not crazy backseat) and continue to make turns right away, and they're just fine, as you see.

dynafit bindings are less forgiving of poor technique, particularly in terms of taking any air.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Willie
    If you don't mind me asking, how much does a setup like that end up costing after the customizing?

I'd really like to get a good AT setup this year. Something I can hike AND ski aggressively in and it looks like you've accomplished exactly that.
    i'll leave out the cost of the boots as you may have some sort of deal (i'd recommend getting last year's mega ride as it is virtually the same and probably quite a bit cheaper if you're faced with paying retail).

add:
    * booster strap: $20
    * new, stiffer tongue: anywhere from free if you can find an old raichle tongue to $50 for a pair of scarpa XT/TT tongues from BD
    * better thermo liner (intuition; you'll have to ditch the G-Fit eventually, if you intend to use the boot alot): $200
    * custom footbed: $you probably already have these

it doesn't have to cost much at all to do the boot modifications, but the crux is finding a stiffer tongue for not much $$. the stiffer the tongue (e.g. the really stiff raichle tongues) don't hike well, but the next one down in stiffness increases the ski-ability and doesn't adversely affect hiking.

Dynafit Setup

I'm using Dynafit Comforts, Garmont Megaride boots with Intuition liners and customised Dalbello Krypton tongues (the softer of the two that come with the top end model) on 190cm Salomon AK Rockets. Skied them perhaps 70 days last winter, Kootenay powder skiing, Bugaboos - Rogers Pass traverse, Cat-ski guiding .. it requires a more centred technique than my downhill specific setup (Raichle Flexon Comps on 183 Head Super Mojos) but is perfect for aggressive backcountry skiing. Stiff tongues are the key to higher performance. I've used customised Raichle Flexon tongues previously on Raichle Concordias, Scarpa Denalis and on a previous pair of Comforts, but the Krypton tongues are higher, seem even stiffer, and certainly fit more cleanly, without the raised ribs to distort the buckle closure. Dynafits are noticably stiffer than my Fritschi Freerides (it's especially obvious if you compare them on groomed snow). The standard Garmont G-fit liners pack out way too fast .. Intuition liners retain their fit alot longer and the the overlapping tongue seems to enhance stiffness. I've tried the new stiff Dynafit boots but found them boxy .. perhaps suitable for wider feet.

This thread rules.

My 06/07 Megarides arrived today, replacing my Adrenalins. I'm fired up for these things. Already added the softer of the two tongues that came with my Krypton Pros, as well as some Booster straps. Intuitions can swap out of my tele boots, and a rear spoiler may be in order too.

I found Meathelmet's Megaride/Flexon tongue swap thread quite helpful too.

These boots will be mated with Comforts and some fugly blue Atomic Janaks.
    bodies be all up on my behind

Lets see some pics of megarides with Krypton tongues eh?

LPs, Scarpa Lasers and TLT Comforts, great setup, no complaints so far.