Installing bed in Dodge Grand Caravan

Looking to upgrade my hot ride... a purple 1998 dodge grand caravan, sans seats in the back. I have had just an aero bed back there. Thinking about putting a platform for the bed and drawers underneath for more storage space. I thought I could cut up 4x4 posts, maybe 18" high, lay them in a grid, and lay plywood on top of that. then screw drawers into the plywood so they wood be hanging undereath. Maybe just plastic drawers would work? Thoughts? How closey spaced should the grid be, how thick the plywood? Am I totally lost?

The best way is to pick a specific size of plastic storage box (i.e. Sterilite) and build the bed frame over and around those. That way you can pack the boxes inside and carry them out instead of having to carry loose stuff in and out of the truck.

Or if you want do it on the cheap, drive around local grocery stores and "borrow" some old plastic milk crates. Like 10-12 or so. Lay these down on the floor in grid. Put a piece of 1/2" plywood on top. Add Mattress and enjoy. You can pull out a few milkcrates ata time and store stuff inside them and the rest will continue to support the bed. If you want to get even fancier put a smaller piece of plywood over 5 milkcrates (the 4 corners and the middle) this will raise the bed up a bit and make it easier to slide out the rest of the crates.

Milk crates are a good size, sturdy, let you see what's in them, and are widely available. You don't just want a bunch of vertical 4x4's or the whole thing will be tippy. You need cross-bracing to firm everything up. Also, 4x4's are probably overkill. I built mine out of 2x4's with 1x2's for bracing and the thing holds over 900 lbs. (3-way with two fat girls).

I used 4X4's and 3/4" ply, I had both of these laying around, but I'm sure 1/2 inch ply would be fine. I used five peices of 4X4, one on each corner and one in the middle with 2X4's as an outside frame and two cross members(had these laying around as well). Cut the 4X4's high enough to put either a milk crate or a low top rubbermaid in there, it worked like a charm. This thread reminds me of Summit 2004.
    Move along nothing to see here.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Blue
    the thing holds over 900 lbs. (3-way with two fat girls).
    i loled

Milk crates would work well. What about a futon mattress on top -- easy to pull up (roll up) to access storage underneath.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

It's purple...you need a waterbed, disco ball, black light and furry throw pillows.
    Signature removed for non-payment

Shit I should have mentioned that. I put a futon in there and the ability to move stuff around when just sitting around was good.
    Move along nothing to see here.

This is the mod I am doing to my toyota van before the sik season starts: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2390028/3 , that will replace the fouton bed in there now.
    I suggest you check out you local junkyard and see what the conversion van campers there did for bed, lotes of good ideas and bad ideas to learn from. You might be able to find a westy to nab parts from, orr somee of the 80 toyota vans had custom fold flat benches that make okay beds with storage underneath.
    Spats' suggestion of building around bins is good, if that fits your style. Be ware no to buy too big of bins. The milk crate idea is kinda ghetto, but we are talking about a caravan. If you go with plywood over milk crates, cut the plywood lengthwise down the middle and install hinges. so you can access the crates under either side without totally removing the bed. I also recommend a thinner, denser foam pad than the futon mattress, it gets pretty tall and you lose sit up room and you are sleeping at window height (bad for changing clothes). You should also look into making some curtains, I reccommend using velcro tabs to attach them to the windows and keep the light out - parking lot lights can really suck on a night in the van.
    Some other items that make my van sleeping experience better include: those battery powered press on lights, tiny hammocks strung to hold things up high and give you easy access, real sheets and a real down comforter - way better than a sleeping bag after a few nights.
    Good luck, post pics.
    another Handsome Boy graduate

Lots of help. thanks.
    So I'm going somewhere slightly above milkcrates, but def. below platinum pete's slick setup. Went and looked at some stuff today. Basic frame is going to be about 48" by 72". Do I go with the 2x4 posts as in the first pic using the 1x2's for bracing:

Or do i go with platinum petes setup, looked like vertical box guys, layed three lengthwise:

I put up a cross section of what they appeared to look like, along with some sterilite boxes in blue. The ones in the back are on wheels, 20X40 and the ones in the front are 17x20.

If I did go platinum pete style. Do I need to put down some crosswise beams on the floor for these to sit on?

For the bed I'm thinking using the cheapo 1/2" closed cell foam camping mats that can be had for $5 a piece, Buy 6 and lay them down double ply, a 2" egg crate layer that's only $20 or so on top of that. and then maybe a layer of memory foam? but that may break the bank. about $50 for that.

what do you think. I'm a construction idiot.

I have a toyota tacoma, and I created a very simple, cheap, and practical setup (has been working well for 3 seasons). It took about 2 hours to make this. I created 6 panels of 1/2" plywood that clip into the frame made of 1x2s and 2x2s. Each panel is topped with foam (walmart cheap stuff). I can remove any panels for whatever configuration I want. This allows 2 people to sleep comfortable. I like it because I can store skis/boards under the panels, and I can place toolboxes, chains, cookware, etc, easily in the panels that I see fit for that particular trip.

The other advantage is that I can remove/install in about 3 minutes. It's light and easy to handle. I've actually had to disassemble the entire setup at Circuit City in order to get a TV in the back.

Example configurations I've used:
    Remove 2 center panels for 4 people to sit
    Remove 2 rear panels for 2 people to sit/lay
    Remove 3 right(or left)panels to put bikes
    Remove 1 rear panel for cooking (open rear window)

I am at a hotel right now, but I'd be happy to send photos if you are interested. This design image is what I used.

P. Pete has a nice setup.

Here is the platform that I use in the back of my truck (upside down for detail):

The platform is 78" x 40" and made of 1/2" plywood and 2x3s and is overkill. The chain attaches to tiedowns in the truck so it can't move. I don't know why the middle cross piece isn't centred but I'm sure I had an excellent reason. It's three pieces that I screw together:

To assemble I put in the two supports, slide in the platform, and screw together. Easy and fun.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

So I've got the plans pretty laid out, similar to Snow dogs, but with 3 supports and a hinge in the middle to convert it to a bench when not in use. We'll see how it goes.

I know you thought of it but a Grand Caravan is 48" x 96" on the floor. A raised platform is shorter so the front seats can recline and the rear door can close.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Those old Chrysler minivans are great for dirt bagging.

I did the bed in mine about 3/4 width, so I could get at the storage bins while inside the van. (An important consideration on a cold winter night.)

During the winter I had one of those oil-filled electric heaters (that look like an old house radiator) for when I could find a plug in. Nice and warm to -20C.

Upgraded to a fullsize camperized van this year. Fuel economy is almost as good as the old minivan and now have a furnace, stove/range, sink, etc. Comfortable but still cheap.

Pic from a few weeks ago.

So i'm about 70% done, but am leaving for the week, hopefully i'll finish up when I get back, gone relativelly well.