Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Are Bluehouse Shoots the next XXXL?

any speculation on the Shoots as compared to xxls? I LOVE the xxls, but can't pass up a deal on a rockered tip charger...a cheap brocker?
    I think I need to attend a GHA meeting...
    Hello my name is Tom...and..i"m a gearwhore
    current quiver:
    Praxis pow 195- 1 day in super heavy spring slush, not shure yet if R/R is for me.
    195 AK Rockets- narrow by todays standards but still bad ass for rockin it old school
    194 xxls-still in plastic (A fine fine vintage 08 to be uncorked when the 187 die)
    187 xxls- Everywhere, Everyday, blow me away, I got on these in Feb. and I'm still grin'n FKNA the only ski I can't live without.
    179 Bro stiff - picked these up from splats blem sale- jurys out- on them 1 day felt short,turny, super light- I blame an xxl hangover, i love heavy, damp, lay some railroad track skis. I may mount these tele.
    179 PE - teaching skis, surprisingly fun all mountain skiing with the kids, just got to keep it under the speed limit

I'm thinking the Shoots will fit in nicely between my Praxis 195's and 187 xxl's as a rockered tip super fat powder ski that can charge laps on the tram at Alyeska like 128mm wide xxl's -xxxl's?
    and be my deep floater if r/r turns out not to be my thing. am i crazy with quiver overlap? let the therapy session begin...

any AK mags interested in a group buy?

Quote Originally Posted by SunshineTom View Post
    any speculation on the Shoots as compared to xxls? I LOVE the xxls, but can't pass up a deal on a rockered tip charger...a cheap brocker?
    I think I need to attend a GHA meeting...
    Hello my name is Tom...and..i"m a gearwhore
    current quiver:
    Praxis pow 195- 1 day in super heavy spring slush, not shure yet if R/R is for me.
    195 AK Rockets- narrow by todays standards but still bad ass for rockin it old school
    194 xxls-still in plastic (A fine fine vintage 08 to be uncorked when the 187 die)
    187 xxls- Everywhere, Everyday, blow me away, I got on these in Feb. and I'm still grin'n FKNA the only ski I can't live without.
    179 Bro stiff - picked these up from splats blem sale- jurys out- on them 1 day felt short,turny, super light- I blame an xxl hangover, i love heavy, damp, lay some railroad track skis. I may mount these tele.
    179 PE - teaching skis, surprisingly fun all mountain skiing with the kids, just got to keep it under the speed limit

I'm thinking the Shoots will fit in nicely between my Praxis 195's and 187 xxl's as a rockered tip super fat powder ski that can charge laps on the tram at Alyeska like 128mm wide xxl's -xxxl's?
    and be my deep floater if r/r turns out not to be my thing. am i crazy with quiver overlap? let the therapy session begin...

any AK mags interested in a group buy?
    With that quiver I guess your a pretty experienced gondy rider

Buy them. If you never fall in love with RR, they will replace your Praxis.

I consider the shoot to be a heavier poor man's DPS 120, which is the best ski evar.
    . . .

sunshinetom, i think we may be kindred ski-spirits...

People, please learn what the finger mustache actually means...
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermittent
    And furthermore. What is up with turkey bacon? Healthy bacon? Unpossible.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowsprite
    That is like masturbation. People resort to it when they can't have the real thing!

If rr ain't your thing, dibs on the Praxis...

Quote Originally Posted by SunshineTom View Post
    any speculation on the Shoots as compared to xxls?...
    EDIT: Short version: NO, I do not consider the Shoots to be the next XXL. Different ski, but kickass in its own way.

EDIT: I removed my original speculative write-up, but you can read it pasted by RaccoonFace below. I thought Bluehouse had decided the production version would have full width/length metal, but really it's not full width/length. Sounds like it has 1 layer of metal above core, but the metal does not cover the outer 1cm along edges of topsheet, and metal extends only halfway up the rockered tip. Also, I originally thought the camber was a bit lower than what I now see in the profile photo.

EDIT: Revised Speculation

Compared to 194 XXL, I speculate the heavier weight of the Shoots will smooth out inconsistencies you hit while pointing them straight, and you can send text messages at 50+mph while unknowingly running over babies. The shorter runninglength and slightly less camber of the Shoots will provide less fore/aft self-righting than XXL, and that lower stability will be noticeable (not bad, just less) in a few situations when you're getting knocked around by disturbances within a specific range of wavelengths (that range TBD).

I speculate the higher swingweight of the Shoots, with low runninglength and very low sidecut, and with the tip's fattest part closer to the boot, will give you more rotational stability than XXL while skidding/smearing at speed and inevitably hitting inconsistencies. Flipside is more work to swing them around, so Shoots will be easier to ski fast than slow.

I speculate the shorter effective edge of the Shoots will make them less stable than XXL (not bad, just less) when you try to set an edge and flex these things to rail.

I speculate lovers of heavy/damp skis will like these (not sure if the bamboo will reduce dampness a bit?), and they will beg for a longer length next year, and some might ask for skinnier AND longer but with the same weight/stiffness.

I speculate I am STOKED that a ski like the Shoots is actually being built. Heavy/damp DPS-like shapes would rock.

Last edited by Vitamin I; 09-19-2008 at 02:49 AM.

I shall be monitoring this thread, the group buy will come...
    that is all

Isn't the Shoots really, really close to the Salomon Rocker in terms of shape, rocker, and length??

In other words, this ski, or at least a close facsimile may already exist (and already be in my quiver).

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Isn't the Shoots really, really close to the Salomon Rocker in terms of shape, rocker, and length??

In other words, this ski, or at least a close facsimile may already exist (and already be in my quiver).
    Im guessing the sallies arent as stiff, but im only going on past sallie experience.

Thoughts????

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Im guessing the sallies arent as stiff, but im only going on past sallie experience.

Thoughts????
    They are stiff enough (solid wood core), but not XXL stiff. 128-mm in the waist and a rockered tip = a slow, lumbering beast when you're not full throttle in soft snow. I love the Rockers when you point them and let them rip, but they aren't much to get excited about outside of that element. I would expect the Shoots to perform much the same way.

They are stiff enough (solid wood core), but not XXL stiff. 128-mm in the waist and a rockered tip = a slow, lumbering beast when you're not full throttle in soft snow. I love the Rockers when you point them and let them rip, but they aren't much to get excited about outside of that element. I would expect the Shoots to perform much the same way.

Thanks for that concise explanation. I appreciate it. I have not skied anything stiff made by Sallie personally. Might have to give them another look.

Again thanks for the info.

The profile is different too. Rockers have a very, very long gradual rise (72cms) where the shoots have a slightly more kinked and shorter rocker (35cms).

Dims are similar: 149-128-133(shoots) vs 147-127-137(rockers)

Vitamin I: Shoots have camber, though not very much of it (about 1,2cm placed base to base), it´s the mavens that are flat.

Skidog: Rockers are pretty damn stiff underfoot, but I didn´t handflex them when I tried them. Shoots are pretty damn stiff overall (at least the protos are), but I´ve only handflexed them, not skied them.

They will be getting 997´s or s900´s soon though.
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

Don't get me wrong, I think that the Shoots is going to be a great big-mountain powder ski, especially at that price. I just think that it is a stretch to expect it to be more than that given the layup and dimension. Again, that is based on my experience so far with the Sallie Rocker.

Just posting info, not really opinionated in any direction.

If I have to guess, I´ll say the shoots will be slightly less of a pow ski than the rockers (which are absolutely crazy fun in soft stuff, amazing slingshot feel), but that they will be ever so slightly better in other conditions.

Strange to be discussing the characteristics of a ski that noone has tried yet though. People seem to get carried away real easily.
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

Quote Originally Posted by SiSt View Post
    Strange to be discussing the characteristics of a ski that noone has tried yet though. People seem to get carried away real easily.
    Summer still goes for another week or two, so we get a hall pass for being a bit off the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post
    I speculate the heavier weight of the Shoots will smooth out every inconsistency you hit while pointing them straight, and you can send text messages at 50+mph while unknowingly running over babies. But the shorter runninglength and lack of camber of the Shoots will provide less fore/aft self-righting than XXL, and this weakness will come into play when you're getting knocked around in a specific terrain-type with bumpy disturbances within a specific range of wavelengths (that range TBD).

I speculate the higher swingweight of the Shoots, with very low sidecut and low runninglength, will give you more rotational stability while skidding/smearing while inevitably hitting inconsistencies, so finally there's a ski where you can send text messages WHILE SKIDDING at 50+mph while unknowingly running over babies.

I speculate the shorter runninglength of the Shoots will make them less stable than XXL when you try to set an edge and flex these things to rail.

I speculate lovers of heavy/damp skis will like these (not sure if the bamboo will reduce dampness a bit?), and they will beg for a longer length next year, and some might ask for skinnier AND longer but with the same weight/stiffness.

I speculate I am STOKED that a ski like the Shoots is actually being built. Heavy/damp DPS-like shapes would rock.

Now I want the Shoots and not the Mavins just to run babies over.

okbye
    TELL YOUR BOOBS TO QUIT STARING AT MY EYES!!!1!

Here, I'll help you out:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    RENO SUPERMOTO

Anyone know if these will ski shorter than 191? I am use to skiing around 180. Will these be a blast or a problem for 5'10"?

Thanks for the excellent breakdown on how they might preform vitiminI, Bandit man, SiST....I'm sold. What more can guy ask for than a heavy/damp baby smashing full throttle freight train with a dps-like shape for under $400? Major fuel for the winter stoke. If anyone in the Anchorage, Girdwood, Mat-su wants to do a group buy for even more discount and savings on shipping pm me. I will be placing my order @ 12:01 am on the 19th.

How are these skis so cheap. I personAlly love the mavens but whichever one you like. Either the shoots or mavens or whatever from bluehouse they are so cheap compartively. Is there some catch with qualityy or how they ski or is this truly a smal company doing it right. Do the other bluehouse skis kill it compared to other big company skis of respective style?

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    How are these skis so cheap.
    Are they made in China?
    Quote Originally Posted by bptempleton View Post
    tit ass balls. that's a better sig. or fucktardnutz. YOU MUST NOW CHOOSE!!!!

BH has done a good job combining two different aspects of ski marketing and manufacturing.

1) They are made in China so they cost much less to procuce. Somewhere the number $27/pair has been thrown around just to manufacture. I'm not sure what other cost may be involved - shipping/duties/ect.

2) They sell skis through there own website cutting out the middle man.

Because they sell this way they appear to be an "Indy", however they make skis at 1/10th the cost of most indies. I applaud them for having the vision to try this method, it's just not what I would do. I'd still consider getting some Shoots at the intro price if they put out a vid like last year with the Flex being shown. I would not pay MSRP for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermittent
    And furthermore. What is up with turkey bacon? Healthy bacon? Unpossible.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowsprite
    That is like masturbation. People resort to it when they can't have the real thing!

Quote Originally Posted by StroupSkier View Post
    BH has done a good job combining two different aspects of ski marketing and manufacturing.

1) They are made in China so they cost much less to procuce. Somewhere the number $27/pair has been thrown around just to manufacture. I'm not sure what other cost may be involved - shipping/duties/ect.

2) They sell skis through there own website cutting out the middle man.

Because they sell this way they appear to be an "Indy", however they make skis at 1/10th the cost of most indies. I applaud them for having the vision to try this method, it's just not what I would do. I'd still consider getting some Shoots at the intro price if they put out a vid like last year with the Flex being shown. I would not pay MSRP for them.
    I hear ya. I want to jump all over the mavens, but like you, I'd need to see something more.

Agreed, similar in many ways. But I expect a 35cm rocker tip is quite different from the 72cm tip on the Salomon. Or equivalently, a 141cm cambered runninglength vs 115cm-ish is gonna make it different. Plus, a long portion of the Sally's forebody handflexed very soft IMO, so I expect the Shoots to have a stiffer forebody to the extent they will feel noticeably different.

...Vitamin I: Shoots have camber, though not very much of it (about 1,2cm placed base to base), it´s the mavens that are flat...
    Agreed. Took 2nd look at profile photos, removed my post, and will post revised speculation after someone verifies how much metal is in the Shoots (if it turns out to have no metal, I will cry, but the text "running over babies" will still appear in my revised write-up).

...Strange to be discussing the characteristics of a ski that noone has tried yet though. People seem to get carried away real easily.
    Agreed. However, OP specifically asked for speculative comparison to XXL's, and I understand his desire to anticipate the ski's characteristics before buying. Initially believing the heavy-ass 2900g production Shoots to be built with full metal sheet, I got excited for a fat product that could possibly survive many years in the used market like a Pow+ (in that case I'd be biased to rally everyone to pre-order them, so more get built, and I can buy them used later for cheap ). Can anyone think of a ski with this much metal (surface area like Shoots)? Not much selection there, maybe Kreitlers and 197 Katanas, which aren't as stiff/damp as an XXL.

Quote Originally Posted by molson14 View Post
    Anyone know if these will ski shorter than 191? I am use to skiing around 180. Will these be a blast or a problem for 5'10"?
    I don't know, but here it comes: I speculate most skiers used to skiing 180cm skis will get SPANKED by the Shoots at 2900g per ski---metal or not. If the recomended mount point ends up forward, you have a better chance. Or, if by "180cm skier" you mean "steps it up to longer skis on pow day like 189 Pontoon or 189 Hellbent", then you have a better chance of handling a 2900g 191cm ski (from what I hear, 191 Shoots are shorter than 189 Pontoons/Hellbents).

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post
    I don't know, but here it comes: I speculate most skiers used to skiing 180cm skis will get SPANKED by the Shoots at 2900g per ski---metal or not. If the recomended mount point ends up forward, you have a better chance. Or, if by "180cm skier" you mean "steps it up to longer skis on pow day like 189 Pontoon or 189 Hellbent", then you have a better chance of handling a 2900g 191cm ski (from what I hear, 191 Shoots are shorter than 189 Pontoons/Hellbents).

6.4 lbs per ski??

yowza, that's some heavy metal (but I still wanna give 'em a try)
    . . .